In fact, it is in src/zmq.cpp / "int zmq_poll (zmq_pollitem_t *items_, int nitems_, long timeout_)"

When the socket is NULL, zmq_poll takes the second attribute of the zmq_pollitem_t structure which is a file descriptor. So, I cannot do anything here, as "socket == NULL and fd == 0" is legitimate.

Conclusion: I have to deal myself with the complexity of not having NULL sockets in my zmq_pollitem_t array.