Software is not about what's one likes or not, but about standards, state of the art, rigorousness, and quality.

/Simplicity/ does not go always along /quality/, but /quality/ goes far much often with /simplicity/.

IMHO, if the libzmq code was much quality and standards oriented, it would be simplier.