Mark,

As a comment from the peanut gallery, it is generally a bad thing to
leak that information up the protocol stack. Rather than getting that
information back, it might be better to be able to attach user callout
hooks at the places where you would want to make changes. That way there
is still a unified code base and you can write and install your hook
code to do your special work. It also allows people to do other things
without needing to invent another mechanism.

That's the way I have liked it the best when these things came up with
other systems.

jerry