On Tue, 2016-05-03 at 13:26 +0200, Kevin Sapper wrote:
> I'm currently experimenting with travis automated github releases and
> finally gotten to the point where things add up.
>
> I could try to set this up for libzmq but I need to know how to build the
> release tarballs, checksums, changelog, debs, rpms, etc. Then I can make
> travis upload those artifacts to github releases and even override the
> github generated tarballs.

The release tarball can be built with "make dist".

I don't think we should start releasing debs/rpms. Remember that
debs/rpms are binary releases, which means they MUST be built in the
same environment (libc, etc) as where they are targeted for
installation. This means you can't have one rpm and one deb, you must
have one for each version of each distribution you want to support.

It's a pain, and it's the wrong way to do it. The right way is to make
things easy for the distro maintainers and work with them, so that the
libraries get packaged and distributed from the repositories by the
maintainers.

If someone wants to build and install locally a newer version that it's
available in a distro, make install of the source tarball to /usr/local
tree is safer IMHO.