All that seems fine, but to get TCP keepalives to use a shorter timeout
you'll want to set those additional options, yes.
For example, in my apps I use:

ZMQ_TCP_KEEPALIVE = 1
ZMQ_TCP_KEEPALIVE_IDLE = 30
ZMQ_TCP_KEEPALIVE_INTVL = 5
ZMQ_TCP_KEEPALIVE_CNT = 6

What this means is if there is 30 seconds of no I/O, then the peer will
be pinged every 5 seconds, up to 6 times, before closing the connection.
Thus, the connection should recover after about a minute.
If you don't set these additional options, then the OS defaults are
used, which can sometimes be hours (!) long.
Justin

Links:

  1. https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS