Hi all,

I'm currently experimenting my way through some architectural patterns for application development. I really like the mental model of message passing, which suits zeromq apps.

ZeroMQ apps are mostly using a reactor model for the application loop. This would work out fine when parts of the program are communicating through zmq. However for some scenarios IO using zeromq might not be needed. For example in non threaded scenarios it might be more performant to not poll a file descriptor but to call a method with arguments directly as is done in the observer pattern. However how would one combine a reactor pattern with an observer pattern? Zloop from czmq has no support for such currently for example.

What is the overhead is the polling of filedescriptors compared to direct methods. What are proven approaches in this context? Has anybody thoughts or insights on this?

Rg,

Arnaud