Which side (send or recv) has the issue with the growing queue?

If it's the recv side and your "extremely slow" process is only calling
recv rarely then there may be no events to trigger the queue to check the
HWM.

Try calling zmq_getsockopt[3] with ZMQ_EVENT intermittently on the recv
socket to see if the issue resolves itself