In a lot of cases (mbtls) just don't link statically and the license issue
is moot. But linking dynamically is preferred for more issues than license.

I think there are a few things here to consider, and forgive me if I get
the jargon wrong. There are other people here that are the experts.

If you can use the OS implementation you can use their store, be ensured
that the most recent security updates have been applied and a well
optimized solution. (ok some of that may be up for debate, they have
security updates becasue they are most attacked.)

In some countries, even on windows, you just cannot legally use OpenSSL. So
ability to swap it out is really good.
Some devices do not play nice and you really need to talk to them with an
implementation they can work with (ie axis cameras vs ACTi cameras)

If we write code into ZMQ that depends on a particular TLS implementation,
we have done it wrong!