I use epgm with zeromq and the c++ api all the time. I don't see the rate
issues you see.

Are you:
  - Setting ZMQ_RATE before you call connect ?
  - Are you setting ZMQ_RATE on both ends (pub/sub)

Other things to try:
  - test using c/c++ rather than python to verify

Other things pgm related but do not affect bandwidth:
- I have had issues with ZMQ_RECOVERY_IVL  being too large in the past but
that's with hundreds of subscribers.
  - There is a random crash using zeromq/pgm with more than one context
thread, I have never ever managed to recreate on demand though.