Cuba Si, Yankee No!

Last night, I had the good fortune of shaking hands with the good man who
coined this phrase - Max Lesnick.

Lesnick was inspired by Eddie Chibas and was student leader of the Cuban
Orthodox Party at the University of Havana in the 50s. He was the voice
(over radio and in the papers) of the party and played a significant part in
the Cuban Revolution. He was one of the student leaders and Castro was 4
years younger and member of the same party. Both were close friends and
spend 2 weeks living alone together when hiding from the military
government. Lesnick left Havana for Little Havana in Miami when Fidel joined
hands with the Soviet Union in 1961 because he didn't believe in communism
and felt that the move was not right for Cuba. He says he's a Moderate -
he's not a communist, he's a friend of Castro even if they have their
disagreements, and will fight to his death for lifting the ruthless US trade
embargo on Cuba and for reconciliation between the Cubans on the island and
those in Miami.

Lesnick's daughter has made a movie on her dad's struggle for peace and I
caught it at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York. Lesnick was there and
took questions from the crowd after the movie.

He's an amazing guy. He's fought for peace and equality for the people in
his country all his life. When he moved to Miami, just because he didn't
want to kill Castro, he was labeled a communist and his family was targeted.
He started a local magazine called Replica and tried to air his opinions on
the local radio. His offices were bombed 11 times and many drive-by
shootings were attempted. His neighbour and good friend was assassinated.
All this of course was done under the eyes of the cops and the FBI by people
like Orlando Bosch and what's his name Posada (the two who planned the
bombing of Cubana 455 in Barcelona in the 70s). (Lesnick, when asked in the
movie why he thinks he's still alive says, "I was very lucky".) But he
refuses to give up for what he believes in, and that for me was
inspirational.

In the 90s when he first returned to Cuba, he was greeted by his old friends
and taken straight to Castro. Apparently Castro's first question to him was
"why did you leave Cuba?" When Lesnick gave his reply about the Soviets and
Communism, Castro responded "you would have done the same thing if you were
in my position."

After the movie we asked him how he feels about what Castro had said.
Lesnick said Castro was right. He said, if Fidel hadn't taken support from
the Soviets, the US would have crushed Cuba. He had no option.

This reminded me of the dissussion on Zest about Lama (a.k.a LLama) and the
need for protection under a stronger state. Lesnick himself seemed to
comment repeatedly about how he'll fight for peace for the cubans, cuban
americans, and americans - he kept emphasising the "and also people of
america" part. I didn't know if including "americans" is again political.
Seriously, what's the spin with that?

Anyway, it was a good movie. It's called The Man of Two Havanas.

I think Lesnick is good man and he's fighting for things like
coexistence. He's 76. Hope he sees the ruthless trade embargo lifted in his
lifetime.

Catch the movie if you get a chance.