A 10 year old interview. - ZADesk

After 50 years what democracy is this?'

http://www.rediff.com/freedom/amte1.htm

 [image: Baba Amte] <http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b1.jpg> *Baba Amte is
a legend in a self-centred nation. With Charity Destroys, Work Builds as his
talisman, he has given dignity to thousands of Indians afflicted by leprosy,
brought hope against exploitation to many thousands of tribals and provided
a way of life to thousands abandoned by an uncaring society. *

*Archana Masih* * and photographer **Jewella C Miranda* * travelled to
Kasrawad on the banks of the Narmada in western Madhya Pradesh to find out
what fifty years of freedom mean to the extraordinary crusader.*

Baba Amte is accustomed to delayed letters and uncalled visitors. Guests
precede their letters of arrival and the solitary telephone at the foot of
Baba's bed doesn't work through the day. But *Nijibal,* his ashram, doesn't
turn visitors away.

[image: Baba Amte] <http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b12.jpg> A small patch
of verdant green at the edge of a tribal village in Kasrawad, Madhya
Pradesh, *Nijibal* <http://www.rediff.com/freedom/amte2.htm> or inner
strength, overlooks the Narmada river and has been Baba Amte's home for
seven years. Till a few years back, he would go down for a walk to the
Narmada. But the likelihood of a fall on the muddy incline to the river has
restricted his walks to the 200-year-old temple on the western side and a
narrow dusty path towards the village on the other side.

"I chose to live here because this is the most threatened region in the
submergence zone after the dam is built," explains the 83-year-old
crusader.<http://www.rediff.com/freedom/amte3.htm>The map beside his
bed indicates that the Sardar
Sarovar <http://www.rediff.com/freedom/amte4.htm> dam is 200 kilometres away
and it is his protest against the construction of such big dams that brought
him here. He has vowed not to move from *Nijibal * until the government
heeds his protest. "I am not committing suicide. If the river comes to take
me, why should I move?"

Two years back, the river nearly did that: Baba Amte and his wife were
forcefully evacuated by the police in a canoe and confined to the Barwani
circuit house for two days. Since then he has scarcely stepped out of the
ashram and has continued his struggle for the welfare of thousands of
tribals from his bedside.

For more than half-a-century, Murlidhar Devidas Amte has fought for
forgotten causes, given voice to the voiceless, and brought hope to those
abandoned by society. Lepers eaten by maggots, tribals alien to
civilisation, orphans dying of malnutrition , the uncared for aged, the
neglected handicapped... he's taken them all and given them a way of life in
a singular message: 'Charity destroys, work builds.' The motto on which was
built Anandwan, the sprawling home for leprosy patients near Chandrapur in
Maharashtra.

"Compassion has no utopia, party or ideology," says Baba Amte whose
humanitarian work have won him scores of awards. The Padma Shri, 1971; the
Rashtra Bhushan, 1978; the Damien Dutton International Award, 1983; the
Padma Vibhushan,1986; the Magsaysay Award, 1988... He doesn't count them
anymore, neither can he accept them in person anymore.

A severe case of cervical spondilytis has virtually left Baba Amte immobile.
His spine cannot withstand the pressure of a sitting posture, restricting
him to a standing or prostrate position. A brace supports his damaged spine
and meals are eaten with one foot balanced on a chair. In a complicated
operation at Wimbledon in 1971 two of his vertebrae were replaced by that of
an anonymous animal, the scar of which can scarcely be concealed by his
wrinkled neck.

"I was tempted by *Shankar bhagwan.* He too has spondilytis but uses a cobra
as a brace." He humours his physical inhibitions, but confesses his
inability to do as much as he would like to because of poor health. "I have
to be cautious, but caution also has its own adventure." And it is this
caution that compels him to consume 19 tablets, eye drops in his
cataract-inflicted eyes and a concoction of turmeric and herbs each day.

[image: Baba Amte, Sadhanatai with
guests]<http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b3.jpg>Before plunging into
his crusade against leprosy, Baba Amte was a practising
lawyer. He organised lawyers to take up the defence of the imprisoned
leaders of the Quit India Movement in 1942 and was imprisoned for his
attempts. Often referred to as the last follower of Gandhi, Baba believes
there was no alternative to the Mahatma. "Gandhi*ji's* whole life was
sterilised by truth," he says, "He established a permanent relationship with
the common man with a thread and spinning wheel. He could start a mass
movement with a pinch of salt."

Though deeply influenced by Gandhi, with whom he had spent some time at the
Sevagram Ashram, Baba Amte says, "All *isms* are lying on their deathbeds
including Gandhism." Then, lifting his head from his *khadi-*cased pillow,
he stresses, "But Gandhi will be more relevant in the 21st century. I am
hopeful that the neo-Gandhis will bring this change."

In a nation which has slipped out of Gandhism's clasp, Baba Amte has rigidly
held firm to the Mahatma's ideals. Be it his belief in village industry,
empowerment of the people, upliftment of the poor or a spartan way of life.
He wears *khadi *woven from the looms of the Anandwan rehabilitation centre,
eats fruits and vegetables cultivated in the ashram and lives a quiet life.

[image: Sadhanatai] <http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b9.jpg> His day
begins at 4:30 am with a walk to the temple with Sadhana*tai, * his wife of
51 years. "It is for the first time after so many years that Baba comes to
the temple and rings the bell for me," says Sadhana*tai.* A non believer in
idol worship, Baba Amte's logic is that ''it makes her happy.'' He rarely
misses an opportunity in acknowledging her contribution to his work. "My
work is my life, my life is my work, but Sadhana is a part of both," he
says.

With lunch at 10 am and supper at 7 pm, the day is largely spent listening
to letters read by Sadhana*tai,* talking to visitors and indulging in some
friendly chat with a bunch of tribal kids in the afternoon. Each child,
often unclothed, makes the daily excursion for that solitary sweet promised
in return for a bath in the river.

It is the plight of the deprived tribals that distresses him the most. "The
condition of the tribals is worse than those inflicted with leprosy," he
says, "*Purna swaraj* can only be possible when the poorest of the poor is
uplifted." According to him, a balanced economic system is one which
provides ''Sufficiency for all and superfluity for some.'' "The MNCs have
entered the country like nomads. The majority doesn't need Pepsi or Coke,
they want water. You can have your skyscrapers and Cokes but before this you
must ensure that that tribal girl defecating in the open has the privacy of
a toilet."

His tone is mellow, but the message powerful enough to jolt urban
anaesthesia. In his unique and courageous journey, Baba Amte has always had
a hard hitting impact. His wife forsake a comfortable life and faced near
social ostracism for assisting him in caring for lepers. His sons, Vikas and
Prakash, are medical doctors and have followed his footsteps.

Vikas looks after Anandwan and Prakash works for the welfare of the Madia
and Gond tribes in Hemalkasa, 350 kilometres south of Nagpur. "In our
family, Baba is the speaker; Vikas the amplifier; Prakash, the silencer;
Sadhana the brake," jests Sadhana*tai.*

Last year, her grandson, also a medical student, took a pledge before Baba
Amte and the Narmada to continue this legacy further. "In the Amte family,
there is no scope for a *Amte virudh Amte,*" he laughs, referring to the
popular drama currently playing in Bombay, *Gandhi virudh Gandhi,* which
revolves around the conflict between the Mahatma and Harilal, his eldest
son.

For a man who once speeded in fancy cars, wrote film reviews for *The
Picture Goer,* corresponded with Hollywood icons Greta Garbo and Norma
Shearer, Baba Amte has come a long, long way since that rainy night in
Warora. The sight of Tulshiram, a maggot-eaten leper, changed his life
forever and Baba Amte was on course to fulfilling his destiny. He tended to
those shunned by society and started Anandwan in 1949 on 50 acres of barren
land, six leprosy patients, Rs 14 and a lame cow.

[image: Baba Amte] <http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b13.jpg> Today,
Anandwan is a self-sufficient sprawling rehabilitation centre with over
3,000 inmates. Funded largely by donations, the first of which came from
Norma Shearer, it has its own university, hospital, orphanage, technical
units, dairy and farmlands.

In 1974, Prakash and 16 cured leprosy patients launched the 'People's
Brotherhood' at Hemalkasa. "When they first went there, the tribals didn't
even know how to wear clothes and eat properly," says Sadhna*tai.* Hemalkasa
now has a hospital and three of its tribal children are studying medicine in
Bombay. Baba's adopted daughter and her husband also work there.

"It is a very remote place -- the news of his son's birth in Nagpur reached
Prakash a month later because of the rains," says Sadhana*tai,* showing us
pictures of Hemalkasa and Prakash's adopted daughter Arti. On the verandah's
walls are framed pictures of Prakash playing with lions and Moroccan stamps
commemorating his work.

Baba Amte's face softens into frequent smiles and occasional laughter. Yet
it is difficult to conceal aspirations that have run asunder. For a man who
devoted his life to ignored social causes, Baba Amte is a disillusioned man
today.

He feels that the tradition of democracy in India is on a decline, if not
already dead. "This is not true democracy, but a dominant democracy. Here a
political party gets money from outside to conduct internal elections.
Politicians give scope for corruption. Slum lords run parallel governments.
One landslide in Assam and rice is sold at Rs 50 a kilo. The North-East is
occupied by troops, so is Kashmir. Black money is more powerful than the
Reserve Bank. Gandhi*ji* did not want this. After 50 years what democracy is
this?" he asks.

His hopelessness at the state of the country is so pronounced that his face
crumbles in agony when asked to speak about it. "I don't feel enthused about
the 50 years of Independence. I was asked to be part of a committee set up
by the government but I declined... When borders are becoming invisible, we
are talking about regional parties dependent on the Centre. These regional
parties have become shapeless pygmies. This is an era which needs sharing
and understanding for humanism," he says vehemently. "Our governance is by a
gerontocracy. This cataract of history can only be removed by youth. In this
common man's century, only the common man can change the profile of this
country."

He draws an analogy between Indian politicians and his leprosy patients:
"When leprosy patients touched the soil, they transformed it into gold, but
the politicians did that and made it into dirt." The politicians of today
are an aberration to those he admired -- Gandhi, C R Das, Govind Ballabh
Pant, Thakkar Bapa, Tilak and Nehru who "looked left and walked right."
"Netaji was patriotic, but his method wasn't correct. If he had come out and
said *Jai Hind *even once, Nehru wouldn't be there," he continues.

These reminiscences come in snatches, but the sense of disappointment
persists... whether it is the Congress or Atal Bihari Vajpayee -- "I had
great hopes of Vajpayee, but I was greatly disappointed by his conduct after
the Babri Masjid demolition. He cried, but those tears were crocodile tears"
-- , *rath yatras* or isolated political aspirations. "Those who indulge in
history cannot create new history. You cannot legislate national integration
unless political work is done constructively and there is a lifestyle for
life."

The existing vacuum, the lack of initiative to improve humanity and the
quest for recognition by power-hungry politicians has put him in extreme
discomfort. "Those who do monumental work don't need monuments," he says.

The fact that fifty years after Independence, India still carries prejudices
against caste and religion is for him a symbol of lost aspirations. Yet, his
trust in India's youth gives him hope, "This is a transition period, after
which things will look up," he says.

Occasionally, he raises his head slightly for gulps of water and wards off
the stray ants crawling on his arms. On the verandah, is a box of grain for
the sparrows and squirrels of *Nijibal.* Surrounding him is his luxurious
garden. "We are the trespassers here," he looks into the huge banyan tree
above and breathes deeply. "Kinship with nature and animals makes men
hypersensitive."

[image: Baba Amte getting medical
attention]<http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b11.jpg>Driven by this
sensitivity, Baba Amte scarcely gives thought to the menace
of the monsoons. The river could again draw in to swallow *Nijibal,* but he
is not worried. "Search itself is my destination and work, my chloroform. If
there are any anxieties, I flush them away though I have no flush latrine
myself." He cites a Chinese proverb with a similar message and goes into the
first few lines from Rabindranath Tagore's *Where the mind is without
fear...* a poem which perhaps most aptly describes his work and life.

In his long journey Baba Amte has never known fear. There was a time when he
allowed bacilli from a leprosy patient to be injected into him for further
tests; today he breathes via a pace-maker. Yet his spirit is rock-like. In
his fight for the ignored and the marginalised, his is a heroic and
legendary endeavour. And to thousands of tribals, in his white *khadi*vest,
shorts and a walking stick -- he remains the solitary symbol of hope beside
a quietly murmuring Narmada.

The Miracle Worker

[image: Baba Amte] <http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b2.jpg> Murlidhar
Devidas Amte was born on December 24, 1914 in Hingaighat, Wardha. "He came
to be known as Baba not because he is a saint or any such thing, but because
his parents addressed him by that name," reveals Sadhana*tai,* his wife.

The seeds of social activism were sown early. Belonging to a family of
brahmin *jagirdars,* regardless of his parents's disapproval, Baba Amte
often ate with servants and played with lower caste children. As a
nine-year-old, he was so moved by the sight of a blind beggar that he
dropped a handful of silver coins in his bowl.

He studied law and started a lucrative practice in Wardha, but was appalled
by the poverty in his family estate in the Chandrapur district of
Maharashtra. He relinquished his robes and began working with sweepers and
carriers of night soil.

[image: Baba Amte with
Sadhanatai]<http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b5.jpg>He married
Sadhana Guleshastri in 1946. He was touched when he saw her leave
a wedding party to help an old servant. "I went to her house and told her
parents that I was the suitable groom for her," he quips.

"She has been giving me a *tulsi, haldi* and milk concoction for years, she
thinks it will make me fair," he laughs, while *tai* explains how good it is
for his throat. *Tai* spends time between Anandwan and Kasrawad, and has
always been at Baba Amte's side during all his campaigns.

After marriage, Baba Amte started working for those struck by leprosy
outside Warora. He set up 11 weekly clinics around Warora and later started
Anandwan, where they dug the lower depths of the earth in temperatures as
high as 47 degrees before they found water. He took a formal course for
leprosy treatment and even allowed his body to be used for an experiment to
grow *leprae* germs. As it was ineffective, the experiment was abandoned
later.

Anandwan was registered in 1951 and more land was given by the government.
Two hospitals, a university, an orphanage, a school for the blind and
technical wings were added subsequently. The ashram is now a self sufficient
unit and more than 5,000 people are dependent on it for their livelihood.

[image: Baba Amte on the banks of
Narmada]<http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b10.jpg>Baba Amte also
launched two
*Bharat Jodo* -- Knit India -- Movements from Kashmir to Kanyakumari in 1985
and Assam and Gujarat in 1988. His aim was to establish peace and generate
environmental awareness.

The proceeds of the several awards won by him and his family, amounting to
nearly Rs 15 million have been given to Anandwan. Many familiar with his
work say Baba should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. To this, he has
a simple answer: "Mine is a Noble Enterprise," he says

The Narmada controversy

[image: Baba Amte at Narmada Andolan]<http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b8.jpg>
The Sardar Sarovar dam, being constructed at Kevadia in Gujarat, threatens
to displace nearly 300,000 people from the villages, mainly tribals. To be
built at a cost of Rs 440 billion, it is estimated that the dam could
submerge 44,363 hectares of fertile land and 40,332 hectares of India's best
natural forests.

The Narmada Bachao Andolan, championing the cause of the tribals, points out
that contrary to the government claims of providing water in Saurashtra, the
dam will cut water supply from 59 of the 69 talukas in the region. In Kutch,
5 of the 9 talukas will be left dry. Moreover, the heavy expenditure
incurred through the dam will not leave money for other development schemes.

[image: Baba Amte at Narmada
Andolan]<http://www.rediff.com/freedom/1107b7.jpg>As a result of the
NBA's agitation, the Supreme Court has stayed the dam's
construction for two-and-a-half years; the dam was 80.3 metres high when
construction was halted. The Gujarat government has applied for the dam to
be built at a height of 110 metres. The court has asked the government for
proper compensation to the tribals -- land for land and proper
rehabilitation. The next court hearing is scheduled for July 24.