I actually went for this tripe on Sunday at the Wankhede Stadium -
middle-class boy can't ignore 6000 buck free passes. Terrible organisation,
as is a tradition at Wankhede, surly MCA ghatis manning the gates, tuned-out
cops, no score-board so you have no idea what the score is (in a T20, what
else is there?), lousy food (complimentary), unimpressive black-and-white
cheer-leaders... .

And 2000 buck tiks were available for 300 - tough luck Mukesbhai!

The cricket - well, it was intense with players going for broke, which was
the real disappointment - i thought they would treat it like Gavaskar in the
commentary box, dozing off amid the chaos.

Gideon is brilliant in this rant on Sharad Pawar - er, no, i think he's
referring to T20.

*Brutish and short*

* Twenty20 is seen as a concentrated form of the game, but on the evidence
so far, it's more like a crude edit*
Gideon Haigh

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/347208.html

April 22, 2008

  The IPL centres around the profit motive and is concerned chiefly with the
self-admiration of India's media and corporate elites (c) AFP

Friday was a big night for cricket. A large, noisy gathering toasted the
success of the happy band of international cricketers called ... the Yarras.

Yes, it was presentation night at the club where I've been a member 15
years, and have an apparently eternal commission as vice-president. A
genuinely global affair it was, too. Harry, our Kiwi clubman extraordinaire,
was extravagantly toasted - deservedly so. Knockbax, our Yorkie quick
bowler, told us we were all "roooobish" - deservedly so too. Aravind, in
receiving the award for most ducks, narrated in hilarious detail the only
innings in which he scored a run last season. Nashad, having won the bat
raffle, touchingly described arriving from Dhaka five years ago knowing
nobody in Melbourne; now, he said, he regarded us as family.

Bangalore was mentioned quite a lot during the evening, although only
because two of our boys, Zameel and Ranjit, have gone home there to get
married, whereupon they should be boomeranging back to us. Whatever else was
happening in Bangalore that night - well, it seemed far away indeed. As
Indian Premier League VIPs swanned around looking like they owned the
universe, I sat on my couch carefully counting up the A$583.50 in notes and
coins we cleared on our event - an amount that wouldn't buy you the g-string
on a Washington Redskins cheerleader. The only thing that reminded me of the
Yarras thereafter that night was that no batsman bar Brendon McCullum could
break 20<http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ipl/engine/current/match/335982.html>in
perfect batting conditions.

Since then, I've watched every ball of the IPL. I mean, most anything with a
bat and ball is to my taste: I'd watch a Danish Rounders Test match. Some of
it's been okay. It's always cheering to see crowds at cricket. It's fun to
see the nifty and inventive strokeplay, even if in Robin Uthappa's case it
seems to have left him incapable of anything else, and when Rahul Dravid
played an off-drive against the Mumbai Indians I was overcome by waves of
nostalgia.

Shaun Pollock's craftiness, Muttiah Muralitharan's ebullience, Ishant
Sharma's cutting edge - no cricket lover could not enjoy these, wherever
they might be on show. The old-fashioned feeling of the Knight Riders v
Deccan
Chargers<http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ipl/engine/current/match/335986.html>was
also a delight. Batsmen having to earn their runs? How 20th century!
India's chaotic contradictions, too, are also worth savouring. Lotus-eating
celebrities watch multimillionaire athletes and ... the lights go out. I
can't recall whether it was while he was Kennedy's ambassador to India that
John Kenneth Galbraith first considered the coexistence of "private
affluence and public squalor", but here was too perfect an example.

    The game's skills are massively rationalised in Twenty20. What we see in
the main is not so much batting as hitting, not so much bowling as
conveying. The batsman is assessed by the change his strokes are leaving out
of six; the bowler is like the fall guy in a comic routine stoically
awaiting the inevitable custard pie. To be great under such circumstances is
next to impossible. The game is neither big nor deep enough

  It's early days yet, of course, and nobody has the power of prophecy.
"Hopefully it will be a massive success," Kevin Pietersen reckons. "And I
think it's going to be, because you have so much money being pumped into it,
and you have the best players in the world, so there's no reason why it
won't be." But the ICC presented a similar argument ahead of 2005's Super
Series, which became a bomb of Dambuster proportions, and the assumptions
that players and money are all it takes to manufacture box-office gold are,
well, assumptions. Nobody knows whether we will see more Twenty20 as good as
last September's world championship
final<http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/287879.html>at
New Wanderers, or more as pathetic as the fiasco in
Melbourne <http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/291356.html> ten
weeks ago that couldn't last 30 overs.

Already, however, I'm struck by the fact that what I've enjoyed are those
moments when Twenty20 has looked more like cricket rather than less. And
this is a problem, because there simply aren't enough of them. Twenty20 is
envisaged as a concentrated form of cricket, without the pauses and
longueurs that test the patience and understanding of the uninitiated. But
it's less concentrated than crudely edited, and what is missing are those
aspects of the game that make it linger in the mind, that impress on the
imagination, that take time to understand, that need effort to appreciate.
It requires nothing of its audience but their attendance and their money.
Apparently, the first episode of Shah Rukh Khan's Indianised version of *Are
You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?* airs later this week. Pardon me for
thinking that Khan's two new presentations have a few things in common.

The game's skills, meanwhile, have been massively rationalised. What we see
in the main is not so much batting as hitting, not so much bowling as
conveying. The batsman is assessed by the change his strokes are leaving out
of six; the bowler is like the fall guy in a comic routine stoically
awaiting the inevitable custard pie. For sure, the players are stars,
personalities, megabuck entertainers. But to be great under such
circumstances is next to impossible. The game is neither big nor deep
enough. No thespian has achieved greatness from a career of sketches; no old
master won admiration for a skill at silhouettes. Cricket has traditionally
made welcome a wonderful variety of capabilities and temperaments. The
swashbuckler will have his day, but likewise the gritty opening batsman, the
middle-order nurdler, the doughty tailender; likewise, there are days that
favour the purveyor of outswing, googlies, subtle left-arm slows. From the
combination of 20 overs a side, flat pitches, white balls, and 70m
boundaries, however, emerges what sort of cricketer? (In fact, you begin
wondering which great past players would have found in Twenty20 a welcoming
home. Kapil Dev, for sure. Maybe Sunil Gavaskar, when not in one of his
obdurate moods. But can you see BS Chandrashekhar, Bishan Bedi, Erapalli
Prasanna? Given the choice, would you select Gundappa Viswanath and Sanjay
Manjrekar, or Sandeep Patil and Chandrakant Pandit?)

The argument is advanced that this need not concern us: we are assured that
Twenty20 will be only one of cricket's variants. There will still be Test
cricket, first-class cricket, 50-over matches. Yet with the animal spirits
of the market liberated, how realistic is this? Already players are falling
over themselves to make IPL hay, egged on by managers taking a fair clip
themselves. The likelihood is that the objective of the majority of
cricketers worldwide will become not to play dowdy old domestic cricket that
leads on to hoary old national honours, the longer forms of the game that
prepare the most finished practitioners. The economically rational behaviour
will be to adapt their methods to maximise their IPL employment
opportunities. Consider for a moment just who is closer to the role model of
the moment: is it Rahul Dravid, the "Wall" with his 10,000 Test runs, or
Yuvraj Singh, who once hit six sixes in an over? Who will a rising young
cricketer earn more by emulating? If maximising individual income is what
matters - and if any cricketer feels otherwise, he is keeping such a heresy
to himself - then Yuvraj might well be the cookie-cutter cricketer of the
next decade. Twenty20 has rightly been called a batsman's game, but it is a
very particular kind of batsman: the type whose game is built on eye and
strength. If a new Dravid were to begin emerging now, I suspect he would
face a career as a second-class cricket citizen.

  Will it be possible for cricket to produce the likes of Sachin Tendulkar
after two decades of Twenty20 as the main event? (c) Getty Images

Nor is it economically rational for franchise owners to rest content with
enterprises that are inactive for 46 weeks of the year. You don't have to be
Einstein - hell, you don't have to be Napoleon Einstein - to realise that if
the IPL contains even a glimmer of promise, it won't be stopping there:
pretty soon cricket's schedule will have more windows than the Sears Tower.
What then? What might cricket look like after 20 years of
Twenty20-centricity? There will likely been a few more MS Dhonis; probably a
great many more Uthappas. But can you imagine another Sachin Tendulkar, with
the discipline to budget for innings by the day, with his defence as
monumental as his strokes are magnificent? And what price a new Anil Kumble
- brave, patient, probing, untiring - in a world measuring out bowling in
four-over spells?

Of course, it is too early to tell, and perhaps it will all sort itself out
- but that, I fear, is what it will have to do, because you know that nobody
involved in IPL gives a toss about any of the foregoing. For it is an
enterprise concerned chiefly with the self-admiration of India's media and
corporate elites, where nobody much cares what's happening on the field so
long as Preity Zinta can be shown clapping her lovely hands, and the
long-term interests of cricket are of no significance compared to how
quickly the Kolkata Knight Riders can be reinforced by the Benares
Baywatchers and the Mysore Melrose Placers. Profit maximisation is the name
of the game - and that goes for administrators, franchisees, players,
managers, broadcasters and sponsors alike. The possible negative
consequences for other countries or other forms of the game are of no
account compared to the commercial, and doubtless also political, ambitions
of the likes of Lalit Modi and Sharad Pawar. It is not even about giving the
people what they want; it is about giving the people what Modi and Pawar
want them to want, and can then make a packet out of selling them.

Exactly why the people deserve this is not abundantly clear. Perhaps it is
an instance of what I once saw defined as the Golden Rule of Arts and
Sciences: "Whoever has the gold makes the rules." But the contrast I noted
earlier between the proceeds of my own humble cricket event and the IPL's
was not merely a matter of quantum. All of the Yarras' hard-won $583.50 will
go straight back into the game's beneficiation. Of what proportion of the
billions raised by the IPL, I wonder, will that be true?

*Gideon Haigh is a cricket historian and writer*