BIG CHANGES IN SMALL MINDS

Arvind Gupta tells of the remarkable Neelbagh school set up by David
Horsburgh, a man with a vision for education far removed from the usual.

The number of schools in our country is legion. But creative, child-cantered
learning places are few and can be easily listed— Tagore's Shantiniketan,
Gijubhai's Dakshina Murti Balmandir and just a handful more. Such creative
schools are often the dream of a passionate individual. One such creative
school was the Neelbagh School founded by a British man— David Horsburgh
(pronounced Hosbro).

David first came to India in 1943, as part of the Royal Air Force. He was
based in Chittagong. The serenity of East Bengal inspired him. He saw a
little island in the middle of paddy fields. There were no roads only
waterways and there he saw an idyllic village school. This was the life he
thought he would like to lead, teach in a village school.
David went back to England to pick up an advance degree. He returned back in
India first to work as a professor of English in Mysore, then taught in the
Rishi Valley School and did a stint with the British Council. Finally in
1972, he started his own school.

<https://www.online.citibank.co.in/portal/Landingmaster.jsp?TID=t2&PID=reghm&CID=t2a1p7c1&LMS=RCA$RCAO$DDB$DEHWH180$DEHWH180$DECCANHERALD>

  One major influence was A S Neill— founder of the famous Summerhill
School. Neill equated schools to prisons. So David thought of a school where
children could go or not go. David thought the curriculum in most schools
was very defective. Children had to switch off many of the creative parts of
the curriculum because of exam pressures. So, he completely abolished exams.

David's ideas of an ideal teacher were also very radical. A teacher is
someone who doesn't teach but who sets up suitable learning situations for
each individual child, who learns by herself. He earnestly believed that
children learnt a great deal without being taught. Most teacher training
colleges do not have an experimental school. They are ill equipped for the
task. It is like trying to learn swimming by just reading a manual and
without the swimming pool. David had a small in house teacher training
school with just half a dozen motivated young interns. They studied
theoretical aspects of child development in the morning and then practiced
them on children during the afternoon sessions in school.

The small band of teacher's who went through David's intense internship
programme later on did pioneering work in their own ways. For example
Malathi who later started Vikasana was attracted by an advertisement in the
Deccan Herald in the 1970's put in by David "Wanted teachers, but not
trained." The purpose of the teacher training school was to prepare
individuals with the right skills who in turn would start their own small
schools in villages.

In all my life I have visited over 2,000 schools. But there has been no
school like Neelbagh. I first visited Neelbagh in the early 1980's. And that
sacred image still lingers starkly in my mind. The school was located some
30 kms from the Rishi Valley School. Beautiful low-cost Laurie Baker
buildings made from local bricks, red tiles, clay and thatched hay dotted
the 7 acre campus. The main academic room was a long hall— one wall of which
was composed entirely of shelves. These shelves were full of books—
curricular books, enrichment books, story books. There were also hundreds of
simple puzzles, teasers, games and teaching aids— mostly made by the
children and teachers themselves.

Some 50 children from ages five to 22 learnt and worked in the same room.
There were one or two adults who could be called teachers. They hung around
to help children just in case they needed any assistance. There were no
lectures, no monologues. Yet each child worked independently. A girl could
be doing 5th grade Telegu, and after finishing her book, she would place it
on the shelf and pick the 6th grade book. She could also simultaneously be
going 3rd grade English and 7th grade Mathematics. The nice thing was
children were free to learn at their own pace. They could be learning
different grade subjects at the same time.

Sometimes a child would need help. But instead of seeking out the adult
teacher she would naturally gravitate to a child slightly older to her—
someone who had just struggled with the same problem. This youngster would
prove to be a better than the adult teacher.

The school had wonderful learning spaces strewn all over. Four granite
pillars grouted in the ground with a thatched roof made cool alcoves where
the children could rest, read and play. David Horsburgh, the founder of
Neelbagh, had an amazing collection of books— some 7,000 of the most
priceless books on a wide array of subjects. Many of them were 'difficult to
get' activity books.

David's pedagogy emphasised learning by doing. There was strong emphasis on
working with the hands. They had a well equipped wood and a clay workshop.
David was deeply influenced by the sculptor Eric Gill who said, "Never
educate the children in the use of things— always ideas, exercises and games
but never things." It is important that children should learn how materials
exert their own discipline on the user— which is a discipline of the
material as opposed to discipline of the adult. For instance, if I make a
mistake in English, the teacher can correct it. But if I make a mistake on
the clay wheel the clay tells me 'You are not using me the right way.' If I
plane a piece of wood against the grain it becomes rough. The wood is
exerting its own discipline on the child in a very marvellous way. It is not
an external discipline, as it were; it is ingrained in the material itself.

I saw a fourth grade child actually make a wooden cupboard and take it home.
Children would participate in making scores of jigsaws and other puzzles
which were later sold in Bangalore. With this the children earned a little
bit of pocket money. David sincerely believed in the Socrates like dialogues
with children. So, each Saturday was devoted to the pursuit of philosophy.

Children came to the school much before the school started. This was because
the school was the most wonderful place to be in. Even after the school got
over they hung there until sunset.

The Neelbagh School was meant for poor village children whom ordinary
schools would not admit or would fail. The children paid no fees. The
children helped build the school and gained good experience in construction
technology. I was amazed to see the level of confidence of these village
children. They knew over a 100 songs in ten languages of the world. And they
would not let you go unless you sang for them! Most of these poor village
children were quite fluent in five languages— Telegu, Kannada, English,
Sanskrit and Hindi. Many of the Neelbagh children privately passed SSC and
then went to study engineering and medicine.

Neelbagh was not a low-cost school. The buildings ostensibly were simple and
harmonised with the surroundings. But the school was full of rich ideas and
resources. David had an old car whose components were dismantled and
assembled again and again by the students. David along with his son Nicholas
wrote over a 100 school books published by the Oxford University Press and
Orient Longman. The school expenses largely came from the royalties accrued
from these books. It is sad that all these creative books are out of print.

Someday someone will certainly write a more detailed history of Neelbagh.

--
Jogesh

Many are concerned about the monuments of the West and the East - to know
who built them.
For my part, I should like to know who in those days did not build them -
who were above such trifling.
- Henry David Thoreau