*Saving the beautiful - and the ugly - creatures of the world
Why the EDGE Matters
Jeremy Hance
August 30, 2007
*

 Allow me to wax poetic about the world's newest wildlife organization,
EDGE. I must admit I'm a little in love. This singular organization was
founded in January as a part of the London Zoological Society. Its basic
tenants remain similar to other endangered species programs: survey
populations, set up conservation programs, work with local governments and
communities to ensure protection. However, what is unique about EDGE is not
their approach to saving species, but rather the species they choose to
focus their efforts on. This year they have selected ten mammalian species:
the Yangztee River Dolphin, Attenborough's Long-Beaked Echidna, Hispaniolan
Solenodon, Bactarian Camel, Pygmy Hippopotamus, Slender Loris, Hirola,
Golden-rumped Elephant Shrew, Bumblebee Bat, and the Long-eared Jerboa. Now,
how many of those have you heard of? How many can you picture? Unless you
are a biologist or a one-of-a-kind wildlife enthusiast, you may recognize a
couple (or less) of these species—and that's the point. By selecting
relatively unheard-of species, EDGE looks to the future of conversation
movements while reconnecting us to religious and moral beliefs regarding the
immeasurable importance of all of our planet's inhabitants.

The Baiji. Photo taken by Vincent Yu on September 15, 2000.  Conservation
organizations of the past have chosen to protect species on what is often
called 'charisma', selecting animals that easily attract us (when I say
easily, I mean the animal is striking enough not to need much 'explanation'
to make it interesting). Whales are massive and awe-inspiring, tigers are
beautiful and deadly, polar bears are elegant and seemingly 'cute',
elephants are grand and intelligent, lions retain the myth of kingship,
dolphins are clever and sleek, wolves have come to symbolize wildness, and
chimpanzees are obviously so close to ourselves that their protection is in
some ways self-protection. A few 'rules' can be deemed from the above list
of favorite conservation animals. First, to have a wildlife organization's
focus, it is best to be mammal; since we are mammals it is only natural that
we gravitate toward our relatives (birds are the next best, like the Bald
Eagle and California Condor, but reptiles, amphibians, fish, and—least of
all—insects and plants are rarely made the subject of species-focused
conservation efforts). Secondly, it helps to be big, in fact the bigger the
better; animals smaller than ourselves are rarely noticed unless they are
labeled 'cute'. Third, the species should be active and energetic; we don't
care as much for animals that seem to do little. Finally, symbolism or
metaphors that may surround an animal also aid its stature. In general, we
prefer predators to prey, intelligence to instinct, and beauty to ugly. The
core reason for focusing on such species is obvious: people donate far more
to save a Panda Bear than a Tumbala Climbing-Rat (one of EDGE's choice
species).

Now cynicism could easily set in after one realizes we are saving animals
based on looks. But conservation organizations put their faith in a
trickle-down theory; in other words saving the big charismatic mammals would
theoretically benefit every species in their ecosystem: by conserving
elephants and lions you conserve the all the species of the Africa's plains
or by saving whales and dolphins you protect the seas. I will label this as
trickle-down conservation, and much like Reagan's dubious economics it is
only a little effective. For one thing, nature is endlessly diverse and
their are many habitats that have been ignored due to the lack of any
charismatic animal; for example the Hispaniolan Solenodon, an amazing
shrew-like creature that produces toxic saliva, lives in Haiti (well,
hopefully) and the Domican Republic, two nations that have received
relatively little international conservation attention, because of their
lack of any high-profile animal. There are many such places. However, even
massive protection for one species doesn't necessarily mean benefits for the
others. Kenya is one of the countries in which international organizations
have sunk a lot of money to protect lions, elephants, and many other big
mammalian species. Yet such protection has not stopped the Hirola from
becoming one of the most endangered mammals in the world, simply because it
inhabits a region apart from the African savannah, while even the Black
Rhinoceros—which inhabits the same area as Africa's big charismatic
starts—remains on the very edge of extinction. Why? Because not every animal
requires the same protection; every endangered species needs specifics plans
to address its very specific needs. The Black Rhinoceros is hunted even more
vigorously for its horn than the elephant for its tusk, and its aggressive
nature has not helped it win the same devotion. Finally saving mammals and a
few majestic birds does little to help other orders of life. Saving Jaguars
does not translate into stopping the devastating losses in frog populations
even if both animals inhabit the Amazon. Protecting whales does not mean any
greater support for sharks, fish, or coral. Like trickle-down economics,
trickle-down conservation mostly just helps the higher class species.

The Long-beaked echidna (Zaglossus bruijni), a species closely related to
Attenborough's long-beaked echidna (Zaglossus attenboroughi), from the Foja
mountains in New Guinea. Photo by Stephen Richards of Conservation
International.  With one swoop, EDGE has changed the trickle-down,
beauty-is-best conservation idea. They have set up new criteria: any animals
will receive attention so long as they are greatly endangered and
'evolutionary distinct'. That last part may raise a few brows, but basically
it states that animal conservation should not be a charismatic contest, but
rather emphasis should be placed first on those animals that are
biologically unique. The idea is that the more unique the species, the
greater the loss. With a possible mass extinction to rival the dinosaurs' on
the horizon and only a finite amount of resources and time, emphasis must be
placed somewhere. While such criteria may sound as constrictive as
beauty-is-best, it is not. The animals are selected objectively, through a
score combining endangerment and evolutionary distinctness. The result:
seventy mammals with little or no conservation have been added to the small
list of species that should not be allowed to enter the long dark of
extinction without a fight. None of this is meant to diminish the need to
save such magnificent animals as the Blue Whale and the African
Elephant—both of which also appear in EDGE's 100 mammals list. These
beautiful charismatic animals still deserve the very best in conservation
efforts, and without past dedication many of them would be gone.

EDGE is not merely concerned with mammals. The organization is currently
working on lists of the most endangered and most unique amphibians, birds,
reptiles, and even plants. Once these lists are developed, the selected
species will receive the same attention as their mammalian cousins. I hope
once more resources become available EDGE will compile similar lists for
insects and fish. Imagine the impact of such a broad-reaching
organization—so long as it receives the necessary public support and
funding.

Black rhino in Kenya. Photo by Rob Roy (top).  In this incredible expansion
of species worth saving—including fruit bats, burrowing toads, and palm
trees—EDGE is not necessarily achieving something new so much as it is
looking back on pre-Industrial Age views of the natural world's importance.
The idea that animals should not be rated according to their usefulness,
charisma, or beauty is as old as religion, in fact the reverence for nature
may have inspired the first religious cultures. Even now, most philosophical
and religious traditions press for the equality of life. Buddhism teaches
non-violence toward every living thing, from man to the dung beetle.
Hinduism as well teaches great respect for the natural world and all its
inhabitants. In the philosophies and religions of Native Americans,
Aboriginals, Amazonians, and tribal Africans animals are portrayed as
brethren to be treated with respect and reverence. There is no talk in these
cultures of eradication of a species; all are seen as necessary to the
whole. And all of the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism)
contain the story of Noah's Ark in which God orders Noah to save every
species from the flood. Never do Noah and God have a discussion whether the
weevil is worth more than a lion. There is no 'deserves' in these multitude
of philosophies and traditions; all life is sacred. All life should be
protected and cherished. EDGE reaches closer to this moral ideal than
particular species—they are bound by finite finances and support—but its
system of selection is far closer to these moral traditions than beauty and
cuteness contests.

Incredibly, the organization has already achieved a magnificent success:
evidence that Attenborough's Long-beaked Echidna still exists in the
foothills of Indonesia. Last year this animal was among the 'probably
extinct'—certainly the rarest-of-the-rare—since it was only known from a
single specimen collected 46 years ago. Now, thanks to EDGE we know that
this unique species is still alive, roaming the Cyclops Mountains.
Rediscovering an 'extinct' species: not bad for six months. As well, this
young organization has achieved something quite remarkable: media attention.
Several articles have appeared on BBC, Slate.com (an online magazine) had an
article and photo slideshow, and the July issue of National Geographic also
contained an article. All of these articles incorporate photos and
information not of whales, tigers, and elephants, but of Aye-Ayes, Slow
Loris, and the Pygmy Hippopotamus. Suddenly, the world is seeing other
animals on the brink, and who says a child can't be as fascinated by a
Bumblebee Bat as a Panda Bear (I mean it's literally a bat the size of a
bee!).

As I conclude, allow me to state that none of this is meant to diminish the
incredible work that other conservation organizations are doing and have
done for the past 100 years—without them much would be irrevocably and
pathetically lost. These courageous people have saved us that shame. Yet
EDGE is just one harbinger of how such organizations are changing and
shifting. With new strategies, new awareness, new technologies, and most
importantly a major shift in values and philosophies, we can still sustain
our planet's most unique attribute: life. Just this week BirdLife
International has declared a bold new program to establish conservation
programs for 189 of the world's Critically Endangered birds. This new
initiative just proves the incredible change occurring in conservation
organizations. We are realizing it is not enough to save just the tigers,
elephants, and whales; it is not enough to have a piecemeal environment.
Such a place would be a decayed menagerie with ourselves as its apathetic
masters. No, allow us to be bold. Allow us to be optimistic. Instead of
saving just a part of our planet—bits here and there—allow us to press ahead
and preserve the whole wondrous thing, from Golden-rumped Elephant-Shrews to
Long-eared Jerboas, from Bumblebee Bats to Long-beaked Echidnas.

*About Jeremy Leon Hance*
Since graduating in 2002 from Macalester College, Jeremy has been fortunate
enough to travel to three continents, live a year in New York City, manage a
co-op in a small town on the wind-swept Minnesota prairie, and spend a
precious morning watching a family of Giant River Otters fish and play in
the Amazon basin. Jeremy previously wrote about the media's response to the
extinction of the baiji <http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0401-baiji.html>.

--
Jogesh

Hairaan hoon mere dil me sama'ay ho kiss tarah
Haan'la ki  do jagah mein samatey nahin ho tum

- Naaz Khialvi