My dear friend Godrey writes:

  Miriabari Memories

Yesterday Willy the Jesuit regent and i both visited Miriabari, a little
adivasi hamlet nestled in the Satpuda Range foothills very close to the
Gujarat border.
Gosh, it was such a pretty village. Simple houses bunched on the hillside
can be spotted from afar. The people gracious. Our boarders were bright
gnomes accompanying us everywhere,  happy to have us visit.  Earlier in the
morning we had a round of other hamlets as well in that undulating corner of
Maharashtra. Bhimsing and his brother Tulsiram invited us to lunch (after
the usual round of sweet teas: with or without milk). Their little home
overlooks a valley where a perennial stream flows. Accross that valley is a
wooded hill. How long these woods will last in our rapacious culture is
anyone's guess. There is a problem of drinking water. Also our Std.VII
boarder Ankesh's small sister was ill but reaching a medical centre would be
tough going. Bhimsing's grandmother cooked  us rice and chicken curry. The
chicken was fetched from 5 Kms away. I wouldve prefered "gavti kombdi" but
the local birds were not considered - maybe they crow for time, take longer
to cook; or fetch a better price.  Chopped kanda was for relish. Chappatis
could also be had. What a tasty repast. We may lose Bhimsing's cooking
forever. Gurus are crowding adivasi areas with injunctions against native
food habits, introducing  new spells, incantations and festivals. Another
set of details amazed me: the village school room, electric supply, the
phone/mobile connectivity, and the little check bunds on the rivulets.  Our
mercurial government whether from noble impetus or proded by the NBA in
those regions has tried to reach these remote villages, indeed. For in these
parts 70 Kms (from Nandurbar, District Centre) is like flying to Istanbul.
At times I held my breath as Willy steered over stones and craters to
negotiate paths towards Miriabari. All is not lost if India can build on
these "*small steps on the earth" (*I find it ridiculous that nations pride
themselves on moon flights, outerspace jumps and somersaults).
So I celebrate Divali with memories of Miriabari.
One day you may visit......

Much love
Godfrey