http://www.scottlondon.com/reviews/mander.html

In his 1978 bestseller, *Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television*,
Jerry Mander argued that television is, by its very nature, a harmful
technology. The trouble with television is not a matter of content, as the
current debate suggests, it goes deeper than that. Whether one watches
children's programming on public television or violent, late-night crime
dramas, the effects are essentially the same, Mander said: the medium itself
acts a visual intoxicant, entrancing the viewer and thereby replacing other
forms of knowledge with the imagery of its programmers. Television's effects
on young children are especially deleterious, Mander insisted, since it
infuses them with high-tech, high-speed expectations of life and separates
them from their natural environments. We cannot hope to understand
television, Mander concluded, without looking at the totality of its
effects.

*In the Absence of the Sacred* takes this argument a step further by
examining our relationship to technology as a whole. Mander takes issue with
the widespread notion that technology is neutral and that only people
determine whether its effects are good or bad. "This idea would be merely
preposterous if it were not so widely accepted, and so dangerous," he
writes. Because technologies contain certain inherent qualities, they are
not neutral. In the case of nuclear energy, for example, it doesn't matter
who is in charge because the dangers inherent in the process are the same:
the long- term effects of waste, the safety hazards, the lack of local
controls, etc.

The belief that technology is neutral is only one aspect of what Mander
calls "the pro-technology paradigm" — "a system of perceptions that make us
blind and passive when it comes to technology." It's a cultural mindset that
has emerged over time as we've become more and more accustomed to living
with technology. It's also a product of the optimistic, even utopian, claims
that invariably accompany the introduction of new technology. Another factor
contributing to our passivity in the face of technology, Mander contends, is
the habit of evaluating it in strictly personal terms. By stressing the
benefits of technology in our personal lives — the machine vacuums our
carpets, the television keeps us informed, the car gets us around, the
computer allows us to work from home, etc. — we make little attempt to
understand its larger societal and ecological consequences.

What we need, in Mander's view, is a society-wide debate about the costs of
technology — economically, socially, environmentally, and in terms of public
health. "In a truly democratic society," he writes "any new technology would
be subject to exhaustive debate. That a society must retain the option of
declining a technology — if it deems it harmful — is basic. As it is now,
our spectrum of choice is limited to mere acceptance. The real decisions
about technological introduction are made only by one segment of society:
the corporate, based strictly on considerations of profit."

Mander sees a close connection between the advances of modern technological
society and the plight of indigenous peoples around the world. Since the
dawn of the technological era, he says, the only consistent opposition has
come from land-based native peoples. Rooted in an alternative view of the
planet, Indians, islanders, and peoples of the North have not only warned of
the dangers of technology, they have also been its most direct victims.
Mander illustrates this point with numerous examples, from Hopi-Navajo
territory, where the government is forcing people off their ancestral land
to make room for coal strip-mining; to Hawaii, where Native Hawaiians are
struggling to save their sacred Pele, the islands, from geothermal drilling
and destruction caused by bombing by NATO ships; to Death Valley, where the
Western Shoshone fight for a reservation even though they never ceded any of
their land to the United States, where they struggle against military
pressure to keep nuclear missiles from being placed near their homes; and to
the Great Plains, where the Lakota people refuse to accept a $300 million
federal offer for the Black Hills. "That technological society should ignore
and suppress native voices is understandable, since to heed them would
suggest we must fundamentally change our way of life. Instead, we say
*they*must change. They decline to do so."

According to Mander, we are in the midst of "an epic worldwide struggle"
between the forces of Western economic development and the remaining native
peoples of the planet, whose presence obstructs their progress. The ultimate
outcome of this conflict is not hard to predict given that the technological
juggernaut inevitably chews up the societies that warn that this path will
not work. "Worst of all," Mander concludes, "these are the very people who
are best equipped to help us out of our fix, if only we'd let them be and
listen to what they say."

* * *

Related interviews: Scott London talks with Jerry Mander about the perils of
economic globalization <http://www.scottlondon.com/interviews/mander1.html>and "
megatechnology <http://www.scottlondon.com/interviews/mander2.html>" (from
the radio series *Insight & Outlook*).

Jogesh

I believe I have no prejudices whatsoever. All I need to know is that a man
is a member of the human race. That's bad enough for me.
- Mark Twain