Music from the Mystics: Homecoming for SIDI GOMA (Black Sufis of Gujarat)

[image: Dancer for Sidi Ngoma]

The Black Sidis of Gujarat are a tribal Sufi community of East African
origin which came to India eight centuries ago and made Gujarat their home.
They carried with them their exceptionally rich musical tradition and kept
it alive and flourishing through the generations, unknown to the rest of the
world. Their history is rooted in the slave trade of the 13th century and
beyond, when Arab and later European slave traders systematically captured
thousands of African men, women and children and took them across the seas
for sale to the highest bidders. Many Sidi arrived in India as slaves to the
Maharajas and Nawabs of the day, whilst others came as merchants,
navigators, sailors and slave kings, settling in Gujarat. Their Nubian
features attracted the Arab slave traders because of their huge demand in
many Indian households as trusted servants and status symbols. That remains
true in the Parsi community and several Sidi royal family lineages also
continue to thrive to this day in India.

A traditional occupation of African-Indian Sufis in Gujarat has been to
perform sacred music and dance as wandering *faqirs*, singing songs to their
black Sufi saint, Bava Gor. Sidi men and women perform sacred music and
dance during rituals in the shrines to Bava Gor, and have lived on accepting
alms for touring these devotional genres from villages to shrines for
centuries. The Sidis are the most musically inclined, who recognise music as
a tool for becoming closer to God. Many Sidis also perform as *muezzins* as
they feel closely related to Hazrat Bilal, a black African man who was the
first person chosen by Prophet Mohammed to recite *adhan* (call to prayer).
Over time, the Sidis' native African music styles, melodic and rhythmic
structures, lyrics and musical instruments mingled with local influences in
Gujarat to form this unique and symbolic representation of African-Indian
ness.

 *Sidi Goma* perform in a group of twelve: four lead musicians
(drummers/singers) and eight dancers. The program presents an overview of
Sidi ritual performance, from the traditional *muezzin* call to prayer to a
staged ritual performance. It centres around a danced *zikr* (remembrance),
consisting of joyful, satirical praise dances to their Saint, who is
attributed with giving them the joy they express in their dances.
Intoxicating drum patterns that "speak" the *zikr* prayers in rhythm support
the dancers who perform virtuosic feats of agility and strength, gradually
reaching an ecstatic climax. While the music gradually gets more rapid and
excited, the dances unfold with constantly evolving individual and
small-group acts of animal imitations, climaxing in a coconut-breaking feat.
The programme features solos on the *malunga*, an instrument resembling the
Brazilian *berimbau*, as well as prayer calls and seated ritual songs (*
baithi*, *dhamal* and*qawwali*). Included in the show is a certain type of
circle dance, with people coming into the centre to perform more
exhibitionistic dancing, indicative of the slave dances of Zanzibar.

The Sidi speak word perfect Hindi and Gujarati, but have remained an
oppressed class in India. Because they are black, from Africa, and Muslim,
this has kept them at a lower socio-economic and educational level, but
recently their situation is finally beginning to change for the better.
Yunus Babu Sidi, one of the group's leaders speaking in a recent interview
with ethnomusicology professor Amy Catlin-Jairazbhoy in UK's fROOTS
magazine, says:
[image: Dancer for Sidi Ngoma]

 "The general population in India think of us as Africans, although we are
Indians, pure and proper and Swahili is the language of our forefathers and
we should not forget it. I am the only one learning Swahili in the group, so
I can teach my fellow brothers and sisters in the future. We use the Swahili
language in some of the songs during our performances, but we don't know the
true meanings behind these words. If someone asks me what have you sung, I
don't have an answer for them and that becomes a problem for me, because
this issue is not just about the performance but it lies in the roots of our
cultureā€¦ All I know is I come from Africa, and I would like nothing better
than to sit around with my Sidi brothers and sisters one day and have a
conversation with them in Kiswahili."

The exuberant energy and joy Sidi Goma brings to the stage is captivating
and powerful, their unique African-Indian heritage a fascinating discovery
and every performance an exhilarating experience! After the group's
successful first tours in the UK in 2002 reviews from all their shows were
extremely enthusiastic, and it is sure that their first visit to perform in
East Africa is an historic event that should not be missed for the world.

The Sidi Goma group was brought to East Africa by Busara Promotions, a
cultural NGO registered in Zanzibar in March 2003 to work regionally,
promoting and developing opportunities for musicians and performing artists,
and building networks internationally, for the social, cultural and economic
growth of Africa and the dhow region.
[image: Sidi Ngoma]

http://www.afropop.org/multi/feature/ID/251/Sidi+Goma:From+India+to+Tanzania