*
A life in three octaves *

BY DEEPA GANESH
*in Hubli*

  *The Hindustani vocalist Hangal relives memories both pleasant and
painful. *

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=20060310000708000.htm&date=fl2304/&prd=fline
&

ONE does not expect a 94-year-old person to be as busy as Gangubai Hangal.
"Either she is travelling to other cities or she is full up with
appointments in Hubli," is her grandson Manoj Hangal's refrain every time I
call her home in Hubli. It is after I speak to him on the phone several
times that he fixes a meeting after assiduously looking through the schedule
of the grand old lady of the Kirana *gharana*.

When the photographer and I land up at Ganga Lahari, the residence of the
doyenne, and see 50-odd pairs of footwear in the front yard (see page 83),
we almost give up hopes of meeting her. "I don't think this is going to
work," we tell each other. But Manoj does a quick estimate of my feelings
and says: "Don't worry, they'll be gone in an hour."

Gangubai, frail and shrunk, sits on her bed in her tiny room, eager to
welcome every visitor. Her illness, her emotional vacuum after daughter
Krishna's death in 2004, is writ large on her face. "That's my new
wheelchair," she says, pointing to one corner of the room. Look around and
you find her entire world compressed into that room. Her tanpura beside her
bed, her mother's music books right next to her, pictures of gods, her
medicines and a little black bag. "My family wants to renovate this house.
But I have told them that such a thing could happen only after I'm gone. My
husband built this house for me in 1943 and my guru stayed in this house for
two years. My life's memories are all treasured inside these walls. It
cannot be brought down," says Gangubai with certainty.

It is a little difficult to reconcile to the fact that this "more manly than
the best male voice" has taken a beating with time. Gangubai, with her
robust, androgynous voice, projected a larger-than-life, hardy image.
Despite the unmistakable quiver, her voice is still marked by the
characteristic boom and base. "People who had listened to just my voice and
hadn't seen me always failed to connect the voice to me," says Gangubai,
talking of the pre-television era.

The organisers of a music concert in what was then Madras turned up at the
railway station with a huge garland. As the train arrived, they got into the
ladies compartment, and garlanded a well-built woman sitting by the window,
much to her bewilderment. When they realised their folly, it was too late.
"They had no garland for me!" Gangubai laughs uncontrollably.

On another occasion, in the early days of her career, she went to Calcutta
(now Kolkata) for a music conference. The organisers, on seeing this thin,
short girl in her nine-yard sari, felt doubtful if she could sing at all. To
test her skills, the day before her performance was due, they ordered her to
accompany Jaddan Bai, Nargis' mother, a well-known musician of those times.
Jaddan Bai, impressed by Gangubai's singing, told the organisers to book her
for the Bombay (now Mumbai) conference too.

Gangubai once told film-maker Vijaya Mulay, in the initial years of
television: "If a male musician is a Muslim, he becomes an Ustad. If he is a
Hindu, he becomes a Pandit. But women like Kesarbai and Mogubai just remain
Bais." I expected Gangubai to belt out feminist discourses: on the cruelty
of the Devadasi tradition into which she was born, the brutality of the
caste system, a decadent society, the struggles of a woman who has to
straddle more than one world, the discriminating world of music which sets
different standards for man and woman, and more. But she is not to take any
of those confrontational stances.

Gangubai looks back on her past quite effortlessly. She has an amazing
memory that has not lost track of even minute details. "I was born in
Shukravaradapete in Dharwad. It was a Brahmins' colony and those were
conservative times," she says. It was forbidden to enter Brahmin thresholds.
Gangubai remembers how, as a little girl, she went into the neighbour's
garden and was caught stealing mangoes. They were aghast at the impunity of
a singer's daughter. "Ironically, the very same people now invite me to
their houses and spread a lavish lunch for me."

Her mother Ambabai was a Carnatic musician. She was so brilliant that the
best of musicians came to listen to her. Abdul Karim Khan, the forerunner of
the Kirana gharana, would often drop in to listen to Ambabai. In fact,
Gangubai remembers how on one occasion he had remarked: "I feel I am in
Tanjore." Ambabai tried to train the little Gangu in Carnatic music, but
realised that her heart was elsewhere. On her way back from the National
School (she repeats the name of her school several times with great pride)
Gangubai would stop by to listen to the gramophone played at almost all the
petty shops in Kamanakatte.

"They had a huge horn, you know," says a wide-eyed Gangubai. "I can't
remember who the singer was, but it was `*Radhe bolo mujhse*'." Gangubai
kept humming these tunes throughout the day, all the time. "You are not
intelligent enough to keep the two systems separate. So you learn
Hindustani," he mother said.

Ambabai decided to get her daughter trained in Hindustani and shifted base
to Ganeshpete in Hubli. "My driver tells me the house is still there, I want
to go see it one of these days," Gangubai says. Her mother, anxious to
ensure that her daughter did not get influenced by the Carnatic style,
actually stopped singing when young Gangu started her lessons. "I used to
learn from Krishnamachari Hulguru, a student of Abdul Karim Khan Saab. I was
very weak in *taala* and so during my lessons my mother would keep the beat
on my back. Once when she told him that I had to get better with my rhythm,
he got angry and demanded his fees for six months that instant." They led a
hand-to-mouth existence and Ambabai had no money on her. She gave him a gold
ornament she had. But the angry teacher threw it and stormed out of the
house.

The next time Abdul Karim Khan saab came he asked Gangubai to sing. On
listening to her, he said: "*Dekho beti khoob khana, khoob gana*." (Look,
daughter, eat well and keep on singing.) "Where was the food? There was only
music," comments Gangubai wryly.

Gangubai began learning from the architect of the Kirana gharana, Sawai
Gandharva. When he fell ill, she moved to Bombay to take lessons with him.
He used to put her through rigorous practice and could not be satisfied
easily. "I remember a time when I was taught a particular phrase. *Ga ga ri
sa ni sa, nini ni da pa ma pa, ga ga ri sa ni da pa ma ga ri sa*. I locked
myself up in the room from morning to evening and practised it for more than
200 times. I was in tears, because my guru would not tell me if it was okay.
Finally, late in the evening, he came over and told me I could stop.

Gangubai's life was difficult, but it was eventful. She interacted with
great musicians, great poets and great thinkers of her time. She remembers
how the Kannada visionary poet Da. Ra. Bendre loved the way she sang and
taught her so many of his poems. Was it not he who said: "If Gangubai sings
it touches the sky and if Krishna sings it touches the heart."

Pleasant memories coexist with unforgettably bitter ones. The Belgaum Indian
National Congress ses<147,2,1>sion of 1924 is one such. Gangubai, along with
five classmates, sang the invocation "*Svagatavu Svagatavu Sakala Jana
Sankulake*". Those were times charged with the spirit of nationalism and
Gangubai was elated that she was singing before Gandhiji. But beyond all
this, she was worried that, born in a low caste as she was, she might be
summoned to clean the place once the upper castes had eaten. Her
schoolteacher asked her to eat with everybody else and Gangubai, full of
trepidation, could barely lift her head. "I don't feel angry. Those times
were different," she says, willing to forgive it all. "In some ways, I'm
unfortunate, I must say. The people who loved me most weren't there to share
my happiness."

 She talks of how she ran to her maternal uncle Ramanna's house in the dead
of night when she received a telegram that said she had been conferred the
Padma Bhushan, and cried till the next morning, remembering all her
hardships. By this time, her mother, teacher and husband were dead. "The
difficulties of my life were like orchestra to my music," she says.

Not many could have lived Gangubai's life with the equanimity with which she
has. Not even the stigma of not being "officially" married tainted her great
music. Gangubai never had a civil marriage with Gurunath Kaulgi. In fact,
the story goes that he offered to marry her but she refused. She forced him
to marry within the Brahmin community.

There were times when familial problems bogged her down. In her
autobiography, *Nanna Badukina Haadu* (The Song Of My Life), she states how
even music did not offer solace. "I used to sit down to practise and felt
besieged by the problems. My voice would choke and I could sing no further."
But now, Gangubai has a different story to tell. "Everybody has problems.
And so did I. But I had the strength to sail through them." And then she
surprises you by moving on to an entirely different plane and talking in a
lighter vein about how the biggest problem of her life was that of food.
Most of Gangubai's concerts were in North India and like a true-blue
South-Indian, she needed her daily dose of rice. But what she mostly got was
*poori*s and *chapathi*s. "I would feel like crying. After a while, I used
to carry with me a bottle of home-made *ghee*, some *chutney pudi*, and
mango pickle. I would plead with the organisers to make some hot rice for
me. And I would happily eat it with *chutney pudi *and *ghee*." Her chutney
pudi got so famous that everywhere she visited people would place orders for
their bottle of it. "There are some moments of happiness that I want to
cling to. I want to make them permanent. But how is that possible?" She
extends the same logic to her music. There were times when people gave her a
thunderous applause. But it did not necessarily satisfy her.

"There was some phrase, some note that I wanted to hold on to that came in a
flash. Pity these things are transient." That strand of philosophical
thought suddenly reminds her of her late daughter, and she starts crying
inconsolably. "No parent should live to see their children die. Krishna was
so talented. She had a naturally mellifluous voice that did not need much
practice." Krishna chose not to get married and lived her life as her
mother's shadow.

One memory comes rushing upon the other and it is a virtual flood: her
tonsils operation that shattered the world's notions about a female voice;
Mallikarjun Mansur sleeping under a crying Krishna's cradle and rocking her
to sleep; her brief stint with Kathak; and her more immediate, secure
present, teeming with children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Gangubai talks about her past, zooms to a more snug and cosy present and
moves back to something else in the past - a grand stream of consciousness
journey. Her life has been full of turmoil and music, even though for
Gangubai herself, the two things were never separate. Music had to feed her
family.

 **

- Jogesh