True Innovation by people.

From: Ananthu (at Navadarshanam) [mailto:jyotianan...@gmail.com]
Subject: How to get plenty of drinking water even in a desert

Dear friends,

>From 1976 to 1991, Jyoti and I were a neighbour to and a very close friend
of Anupam Mishra at Rajghat in New Delhi, where we together worked for the
Gandhi Peace Foundation. During this period, both of us developed a great
regard for Anupam - for his work in the field of environment, as well as for
his humility and simplicity. Anupam started his work in the field of
environment in the early 1970s, when he was in his late teens, and when few
others gave this aspect of life any importance - terms like global warming
and climate change were unheard of! He was first involved closely with
Chandi Prasad Bhatt, the lesser-known founder of the Chipko movement. In the
late 1970s, he started work on rain water harvesting as practiced in our
traditional societies. The data and pictures he collected in the 1980s on
how rainwater has been collected in the deserts of Rajasthan impressed both
Jyoti and me, as well as many others in the Gandhian movement.

His work in this area has now begun to draw wider attention, and recently he
was asked to give a 15-minute presentation on it at the famous annual TED
conference which attracts a lot of important personalities from all over the
world. Anupam usually speaks only in Hindi, but for the sake of this
audience he switched to English - perhaps for the first time in his life.
During this short presentation, he has managed to capture the glory of
traditional rain water harvesting in Rajasthan's deserts, where there exist
systems upto 400 years old which capture from one lakh litres  to 6 million
gallons of water in areas where rain fall can be as low as 9 inches!! These
structures are an engineering marvel, also very aesthetically built.

In the belief that you too might like to watch this presentation of Anupam,
I am giving below the link to this video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/anupam_mishra_the_ancient_ingenuity_of_water_harves
ting.html

If, after seeing the video, you are inspired to communicate with Anupam
personally, here are his email id and phone no.:

anupam.mishr...@gmail.com

011-23311517

He will prefer if communications from those who know Hindi can be in that
language (with gmail's new transliteration facility, this should not be
difficult). He continues to live at Rajghat along with his wife Manju, son
Shubham, brother Amitabh and sister Nandita. His father, the famous Hindi
poet Bhawani Prasad Mishra, and his mother, who was also a devoted Gandhian,
are now no more.

Yours,

Ananthu

Note:

This email has been sent to you as you are on the Navadarshanam Mailing
List. If you wish to be removed from the Navadarshanam Mailing List, please
send an email to : unsubscribe.navadarsha...@gmail.com

--
T.S. Ananthu & Gopalan- Shobha & Nagarajan-Padmini, Navadarshanam Trust
Ganganahally

www.navadarshanam.org