http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14455776

Vedanta simplified

Khushwant Singh |

 Nandu Somani, a friend of my years in Bombay, sent me a few books on
different aspects of Hinduism by A Parathasarthy. I was reluctant to
read them as I am generally reluctant to read books on religion.
However, out of curiosity I picked The Eternities: Vedanta Treatise
and was unable to put it down till I came to almost the middle of the
book. It is the most lucid and easily comprehensible expose of the
foundations of Hindu faith I had ever read. But in the middle I got
stuck on two items in his learned exposition: genesis and
justification of the caste system and his views on Ahimsa
(non-violence).
What he has written about them is unacceptable to me. So I am through
only a part of the book which deals with them and mean to read it to
the end. I take the liberty of pointing out where I think he has gone
wrong. His explanation of the caste system is stereotype that it was
based on merit—Brahmins for learning and scholarship, Kshtriyas for
valour and martial skills, Vaishyas for expertise on trading and
finance, Shudras for hard work like tilling the soil. He totally
ignores the fifth class who are beneath the four and commonly
described outcastes, Dalits or Bahujans.

The Gita justifies caste divisions and warns people against dire
consequences of mingling them. The caste system is basically ethnic
and not merit based. Most of our religious reformers paid lip service
to a casteless society but conformed to its norms. It is an evil
institution and must be purged from our social system. Gandhiji was
the first to do something practical to eradicate it but was only
partially successful. I wish Parthasarathy had used strong language
and denounced it sinful.

Read more hard-hitting columns

About Ahimsa he writes : "The concept of kindness has been gravely
misconstrued in India. They blunder in following the spiritual
doctrine of ahimsa – non-injury. And refuse to inflict any form of
injury. They are more concerned about the act of kindness rather than
the thought of kindness… The Hindus followed the doctrine of ahimsa
blindly. They have abstained from injuring anybody irrespective of the
consequences accruing there from. Even if it led to their destruction
later. This fanatic approach to life has rendered the Hindu race
passive and vulnerable to weakness that turned out to be a diabolic
weapon in the hands of the oppressors and invaders. It was made use of
to destroy the Indian tradition, culture and religion."

Parthasarathy is weak on history. As a matter of fact our ancestors
did resist invaders by use of arms. They were not defeated by ahimsa
but greater military prowess of the invaders. Gandhiji who looked upon
the Gita as his Bible declared ahimsa to be 'parmo dharma', the
primary faith. It was not based on weakness or cowardice; it was based
on courage, the like of which the world had not seen. Where soldiers
and policemen armed with modern weapons failed, he, the naked faqeer
succeeded. When murderers roamed the streets thirsting for human
blood, he alone stirred their conscience and forced them to lay down
their weapons. How can Parthasarathy or anyone else question the
greatness of ahimsa as the supreme courage?

--
Subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a BLANK email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: