http://in.news.yahoo.com/071015/139/6lydu.html

Mon, Oct 15

Newsweek lists UP CM Mayawati among world`s top eight women leaders

By ANI
Monday October 15, 04:10 PM
New York, Oct 15 (ANI): US magazine Newsweek has listed Uttar Pradesh
Chief Minister Mayawati among eight women leaders worldwide who have
reached the top despite all odds.

The Bahujan Samaj Party chief, who swept the Assembly elections early
this year with a rainbow coalition of Dalits, upper castes and
Muslims, says in an interview to the magazine that her aim is to
replicate the victory in the other states and prepare for the bigger
struggle to capture power in New Delhi.

The BSP, she said, initially needed an aggressive approach to rally
the poor Dalits.

"Political parties dominated by upper castes got alarmed by the rising
masses. Their opposition cut short each of my first four stints as
Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and it became clear we needed to
broaden the base to include the poor irrespective of caste or
religion," she added.

She organized village-level amity meetings for the poor irrespective
of caste or religion.

"Our efforts were met with calumny, attacks and lawsuits, but we
struggled on, and prevailed in elections this May. For the first time
in 17 years, a majority government led by a Dalit is in place in Uttar
Pradesh," she adds.

Apart from Mayawati, others who write their success story include CEO
of the French Energy Conglomerate Areva Anne Lauvergeon and Director
General of World Health Organization Margaret Chan. (ANI with inputs)