http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Panel_calls_IB_secretary_in_Aaja_Nachle_row/articleshow/2636030.cms

Panel calls I&B secretary in Aaja Nachle row
20 Dec 2007, 0148 hrs IST,TNN

NEW DELHI: The National Commission for SCs has decided to call the I&B
secretary to clarify if procedures were followed for censor clearance
of Madhuri Dixit-starrer 'Aaja Nachle' in which a song with "casteist
overtones" triggered unrest within Dalit community and led to a
temporary ban.

While I&B joint secretary appeared before the Dalit panel in response
to the summons, he could not state if the ministry had nominated an
expert on the censor board to clear the movie.

Censor Board chairperson Sharmila Tagore conceded the fault in the
song, but only after she had argued that mochi was used in the lyrics
as a profession and that she did not know it was also a caste.

Commission sources said Tagore was shown the SC list to show that
mochi was part of it and was also read out the Civil Rights Act which
states that use of "casteist" words in the traditional sense was also
a crime.

It was argued that the lyrics -- 'a cobbler claiming to be a
goldsmith' -- was an old saying. Producer Yash Chopra, who did not
come for the hearing, appended his apology to the commission while
undertaking to be careful in future.

Madhuri, Chopra, director Anil Mehta and lyricist Piyush Mishra did
not come. An advocate nominated by Chopra told the panel that he was
unable to travel for health reasons, and also sought exemption for
others. NCSC head Buta Singh said that a crime had been committed and
he was seeking an apology on affidavit.