http://www.tehelka.com/story_main36.asp?filename=cr291207Aaja_Sochle.asp

>From Tehelka Magazine, Vol 4, Issue 50, Dated Dec 29, 2007

ENGAGED CIRCLE   dalit window

Aaja Sochle

The Dalit protest against Aaja Nachle was an enlightened secular act,
not religious, say NAGESWARA RAO THAMANAM & CHITTIBABU PADAVALA

Media representations and intellectual responses to the controversy
around a line in the title track of the movie Aaja Nachle have been
short-sighted and narrow-minded. The haste with which the media hushed
up the matter, and precluded a possible and necessary discussion, was
partly due to its inability to differentiate this particular dispute
from the generalised atmosphere of intolerance ever since Hindutva
turned mainstream in Indian politics. The media chose to consider the
matter closed as soon as the filmmakers apologised and offered to
remove the objectionable stanza, and the Uttar Pradesh government
lifted the ban on the movie. Few mainstream English dailies deemed it
necessary to publish editorials or op-ed analyses on this issue.
Curiously enough, the usual arguments we are accustomed to hearing and
reading whenever claims are made about the hurt feelings, sentiments
or sensibilities of a section or a community appeared either in print
or visual media. None defended the freedom of artistic expression of
the lyricist nor did anybody denounce the objectionable lines.

Apologies by the filmmakers and the Censor Board -- that they did not
mean to hurt anybody and if anybody's feelings had been hurt they
would apologise for the same --were vague to say the least. They were
apologising for somebody else getting hurt, and not because they were
in anyway responsible. They were apologising for Piyush Mishra's lines
being objected to not because they agreed that they were indeed
objectionable. It was an absurd gesture.

Anyway, everybody including Mayawati appeared to be in a hurry to
silence the matter. What is surprising is the complete lack of
interest on everybody's part in the content and meaning of the
disputed lines, except, of course, among agitating Dalit
organisations. Not even the Mayawati's government, and the state
governments that followed her example, said anything about the meaning
of the disputed lines. The lyric says there was anarchy because even a
person of cobbler caste origin was claiming that he was from the
goldsmith caste. The insult is obvious enough. You don't have to be a
mochi to see the indecency or at least the bad taste in this attempted
native humour. We all have seen how television channels thoughtlessly
showed the paintings by Chandramohan and earlier MF Husain and how
such presentation of "facts" or "causes" actually strengthened the
case of the Hindutva goons rather than exposing them. Inexplicably, in
this case, the media behaved differently.

The immediate precedents to the controversy around Aaja Nachle -- the
repeated attacks and persecution of Taslima Nasreen and Hindutva's
attacks on various forms of free speech and expression -- are neither
similar nor connected to the objection Dalit organisations raised
against a line in this song. Whereas the other cases of "wounded
feelings" were claims based on religion, the Dalit objection is
self-evidently secular, and in fact, anti-religious. What Mishra wrote
is well within the framework of Hinduism. In fact, he mildly and
humorously echoes what the Gita and other religious texts insist on
much more blatantly. In protesting the lyric, Dalits are fighting
against the dogmas of both religion and caste. What should have been
seen as a great opportunity for enlightenment was suppressed by media
and intelligentsia as an embarrassment.

The Dalit objection does not constitute a danger to free thought and
expression. In fact, this controversy opens up a new potential and
possibility for permanently silencing some of the successful
techniques of Hindutva and greatly enriches the unfinished project of
Indian enlightenment. One of them is the seemingly invincible Hindutva
strategy (and other communalist) of effecting a collapse of fields.
They expose a secluded sphere like the art world to the public gaze,
generate shock and mobilise public opinion. Whenever they argue
against an artwork (avant-garde art or some passages from a novel)
they are bound to win the sympathy of the people. The state not only
accepts such arguments but in fact makes similar claims -- like
Narendra Modi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee have done recently.

Imagine a situation, where Dalits agitate against the public
celebration of Rama on the grounds that he is the killer of the shudra
Shambuka, or oppose any act of veneration of the Gita because it
humiliates the "lower" castes. Such agitations would surely increase
tensions and conflicts. It is only when Dalits talk about the
injustices they have suffered that Hindutva would be forced to shun
its other standard technique of collapsing the past and the present.
If the media had unilaterally and unanimously not suppressed the
debate on the disputed song, it would have started a veritable
cultural revolution in our public sphere. It would have encouraged
Dalits and other victims of Hinduism to point many more insults and
exclusions naturalised in our language, symbols, traditions and even
our ideals. It would have forced the rest of society to unlearn
prejudices and build a new public language. This might at first glance
appear like a recipe for multiplication of violence rather than a way
to mitigate the "competing intolerances". But is there a better
alternative to defeat the potential formation of a "Hindutva
majority"?

This death warrant to dialogue amounts to a refusal to listen to the
hitherto-silenced suffering and grievances in the initial phase of
their assertion of empowerment. In this case, the media communalised
the idea of Dalit, suppressed the nascent cultural criticism, and
viewed their objections as the problem and not as a potential
solution. They particularised and subjectivised the very issue of
dignity. A deeper malady that made all these omissions or diversions
possible is the dominant Left-sponsored conception of the "communal"
in India. It typically sees both religion and caste as essentially
similar. To be sure, they have identical features. Religion and caste
could both turn fascist. But Hindu religion alone could be mobilised
to establish a fascist system in India, as Nehru clearly saw it. So
far the most recalcitrant hurdles to Hindutva have been the so-called
casteist forces. Both forms of social bonding -- caste and religion --
are essentially irrational and therefore similar. But only religion
could forge a majority in our polity while caste is inherently immune
from that danger.

The reality of caste is to be honestly recognised, acknowledged and
squarely confronted rather than continuing with hypocritical denial or
naively believing in its "disappearance" by refusing to see it. It is
likely that the media and film industry would draw the wrong
conclusion from this controversy -- that there should be no mention of
caste at all. What is needed is a sensitisation towards caste not the
sanitisation of it from popular culture. Unwillingness to take the
risk of talking about caste, and being open to criticism and
correction amounts to cowardice at best and arrogance at worst. We
further argue that we should blunt the deadly force of caste by
trivializing it through overuse.

So far, the attitude towards Dalit expression on the part of the
state, media and intelligentsia is one which could be characterised as
a "stigmatising concession". If at all the dominant cultural and
political forces are willing to accept Dalit expressions, they do so
by naming and framing it in a demeaning way. Again, when Dalits --
shamefully, only Dalits -- object to an insult such as this, it is
reduced to a concession in the face of threats of violence.

Here is a curious reversal: the very act of conceding, of appeasement,
as has happened with Aaja Nachle, simultaneously constitutes an act of
degradation. The Dalits once again are deprived of dignity. Listening
to Dalit organizations is effectively reduced to appeasing claimed
hurt over a perceived insult. With these double disclaimers, the
possibility of opposing an act of insult without being hurt is
criminally lost. You can oppose an act of public insult without being
hurt because you believe that there is certain decorum to public
discourse. Not many actions and expressions are worthy of our
emotional responses. We deem it beneath our dignity to feel insulted
by them but still we must oppose them. Nearly every atheist was
outraged when the Babri Masjid was brought down and argues for
restoring it, not because her religious sentiments were hurt. We do so
not on the grounds of our wounded feelings or sentiments but to
reestablish the decency of the public sphere. This is why Dalits and
the Left should take up the critique of the scandalous lines in this
film lyric as part of a larger cultural agenda. Otherwise, it would
look odd that in a country where an atrocity against Dalits is
perpetrated every 18 minutes and where three Dalit women are raped
every day, a line deleted from a film song could assuage Dalit
sensibilities.

.

WRITER'S E-MAIL:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]