Why I love search engines

  By Amanda Jones
  Media Week | August 10, 2004
http://www.i-level.com/resource-centre/opinion-pieces/why-i-love-search-engines.asp

How annoying is it to have the line of a song buzzing round your head
and you can't remember the name, or indeed the artist?

This happened to me the other evening and it was driving me mad. So I
went online and put the lyric into Google's search bar � up popped the
name of the song in the search results... Relief.

Now, I know if I'd thought long and hard enough, the name of the tune
would have eventually come to me, so maybe search engines make us
lazy. Who cares.

Isn't it great to have the answer to almost anything � no matter how
important or trivial � at your fingertips? Search engines make me feel
almost invincible in that sense. But, of course, we can't live our
entire lives online and be entirely reliant on them for information.

Can we? I was reading last year that Robbie Williams had accredited
search engines with helping his sex life, while he was living in the
US. For a while � perhaps still � he was relatively unknown. He would
meet girls in bars and when he told them he was an international pop
star they thought he was having them on. But, after the encounter,
they "Googled" him (ie, they typed his name in, and found out that he
wasn't such an unknown after all.) I love "Googling" people � what an
amusing pastime it is. As the comedian and writer Dave Gorman will
attest to.

Search engines certainly empower us � not just in terms of the
information they provide to us, but by the fact that we feel we can
retrieve this information easily and anonymously, without having to
involve anyone else.

In the search business, we refer to the "anonymity threshold" of
search. We consumers love the fact that it's a non-intrusive medium �
even the advertising (sponsored listings) forms part of our request
for information.

In 2003, I started the daunting process of buying my first home. For a
relatively wellinformed person I didn't know where to start �
mortgages, surveys, etc. It was embarrassing how little I knew about
it. I certainly didn't want to ask for outside assistance from my
financial advisor or my solicitor, until I was a little less ignorant.
A few searches later on Yahoo! and I was sorted, and ready to talk
mortgage rates. I felt much less vulnerable.

Of course, knowledge is a powerful thing, but search engines make it
that much easier to become knowledgeable. They're rapidly replacing
the local library, professional counselling, and even, to a lesser
extent, our local GP as a sometimes invaluable resource of information
and advice.

I don't think such bodies should feel threatened by extinction,
although we may save ourselves some money over the course of a
lifetime � why pay for professional advice if you can find it via an
online search? Rather, search engines may empower consumers to go and
seek professional advice face-to-face, by providing them with enough
information that they don't feel embarrassed by their level of
knowledge around the particular topic.

Search engines are now striving to convert searchers into customers.
By developing additional products � for example, Google's new Gmail �
the search engines are hoping that searchers won't need to go anywhere
else online.

I'm not sure how I feel about becoming a search engine's customer.
Surely, the whole appeal is that they don't know who I am, that I can
zip in and out of a search environment, get my information and go
elsewhere. Some search engines are developing personalisation; where
they keep a record of every search an individual � and that
individual's community of friends � makes.

Do I want people to know what I search for? Surely that's personal
information? They might work out how little I actually know.

And as for search-engine shopping, now I'm scared. I'm already too
frightened to register on those auction websites for fear of
frittering my disposable income away on the bargains I may find.

Search engines are now a serious shopping experience � Kelkoo was
recently bought by Yahoo!; Google's shopping engine, Froogle, goes
from strength to strength. How will I resist? Will this take my love
of search engines to another, more expensive level? For the time being
though, I'm hooked.









------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Unbelievable Blog of the Week recommends: The Lincoln Fry Blog.
Read all about the French fry that looks like Abraham Lincoln.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/uTGrlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

��������������������������������������������������������
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join

==theZESTcommunity======================================

[1] ZESTCurrent: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCurrent/
[2] ZESTEconomics: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTEconomics/
[3] ZESTGlobal: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/
[4] ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
[5] ZESTPoets: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTPoets/
[6] ZESTCaste: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/
[7] ZESTAlternative: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTAlternative/
[8] TalkZEST: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TalkZEST/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to