A MOTHER'S STORY

  By PAUL RUDNICK
  The New Yorker | 2005-05-16
  http://www.newyorker.com/shouts/content/?050523sh_shouts

Parents would certainly deny it, but Canadian researchers have made a
startling assertion: parents take better care of pretty children than
they do ugly ones.
�The Times.

Until I saw the article in the Times, I'd felt so utterly alone. Was I
the only one? The sole parent on earth who knew the anguish, the
heart-shattering despair of� All right, I'll just say it, right out
loud. I am the mother of an ugly child. She's not deformed or
handicapped or odd; she's unattractive.

Even during my pregnancy, I'd had my suspicions. I remember peering at
the ultrasound screen as my obstetrician told me, "Look, it's a
brand-new life," and all I could say was "Fine, but why are we
watching the Discovery Channel?" And then, after I gave birth, a nurse
placed something on my chest and cooed, "Here's your little miracle,"
and I glanced down, bewildered, and asked, "Who ordered the veal
scaloppine?"

For the next few years, when guests would drop by, I'd pretend that
Lisa, as we'd named her, was a Duraflame log. As she grew older, I
referred to her as our new cocker spaniel, although no one really
believed this, because, of course, cocker spaniels are adorable. I
did, however, begin to read to Lisa, and the titles included "The Four
Little Pigs" and "The Little Engine That Settled."

When Lisa turned five, I was faced with an agonizing decision: where
could we send her to school? Shockingly, there are no facilities in
this country specifically designed for the education of ugly children,
except for a few fringe programs dedicated to computers. So we were
eventually forced to send her to school in England, where she was
extremely popular. But I remained torn� she was an American child, and
sooner or later, at least on vacations, she'd have to return home. The
solution became obvious: a large box. I'd have the headmistress simply
FedEx Lisa to our address, although whenever the package arrived
there'd always be that terrible moment when my heart leaped, because
I'd think, Someone's sent me a gift! Perhaps it's a fully outfitted
wicker picnic basket, or a case of champagne! But then I'd hear that
sound�the breathing.

I tried to be a generous, loving parent; whenever Lisa clawed at her
paper bag I'd murmur, "Oh, but sweetheart, it's from Herm�s." Still,
there were those mornings when she'd want to leave the house in just
jeans and a T-shirt, so I'd improvise. I'd say, "When we're in the
park, let's play a wonderful game. Let's pretend that I'm a beautiful
princess and you're a bench." And if strangers stared at us and asked,
"Why are you sitting on that poor child and enjoying your lunch?," I'd
defend Lisa, proudly declaring, "She's not poor!"

Our favorite holiday was, naturally, Halloween. I'd get all gussied up
as a lovely ballerina, and Lisa would be my pancreas. We also liked to
take long autumn drives through the countryside, to see the leaves
change; whenever I'd spot a particularly vibrant red maple or a blaze
of yellow, I'd cry, "Look!," and pause to listen for her delighted
knock from the trunk. Malls and other public spaces could still be a
challenge, but this was handily solved when I learned to play the
concertina and bought Lisa a little felt hat and lederhosen. Still,
perhaps it was Lisa's older sister, Renee, who suffered the most.
Renee was stunningly gorgeous, and she always felt the most profound
tenderness for the sibling she called her little brother. As a lesson
in compassion, I'd say, "Who does Mummy love the most?," and Renee and
Lisa would giddily shriek, "Me! Me!" And then I'd ask, "And who does
Mummy pity?"

Despite all of this joy, this infinite maternal concern, I always knew
that a dreaded era loomed: puberty. How could I make Lisa understand
that, although she was a brilliant, vivacious young lady and the balm
of my soul, dating would be impossible, even underwater? But then I
hit upon a remedy. For Lisa's first formal dance, I arranged for her
to be escorted by Bobo, an adolescent male grizzly bear. "It's just
like Noah's ark!" I trilled, as I snapped their photo; Lisa was a bit
apprehensive at first, until I pointed out that the arrangement was
for only one night, and that they would both be muzzled. I'm pleased
to report that the evening was a huge success, thanks to a few open
garbage cans, a dab of lard behind Lisa's ear, and the fact that no
one will ever know that I slipped Bobo five hundred dollars and got
him drunk.

Blessedly, today Lisa is well over thirty and happily married to
Jorge, our houseboy, who now has his green card, a Chelsea duplex, and
one of Lisa's kidneys. And just the other day Lisa said to me, "Mom,
it's really inner beauty that counts, isn't it? Isn't that what life's
all about?" I took her face in my hands and I replied, "Yes, of course
it is, my darling." And I smiled, because, thankfully, it's true�ugly
kids will believe anything






------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/uTGrlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to