What's happened to hitchhiking?

  By Duncan Campbell
  The Hindu | May 28, 2005
  http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/28/stories/2005052807351300.htm


A revival of hitchhiking would increase respect, cut global warming
and improve educational standards.

"THE HITCHHIKER'S Guide to the Galaxy" is riding high in the
best-selling film charts and is also being repeated as a series on BBC
radio. But what about the hitchhiker's guide to, well, Earth? When did
you last give a lift to a hitchhiker or see one? Or when, even, did
you last set out on the open road, stick out your thumb and wonder how
far you would get that night?

Travelling through the west of England a couple of weeks ago on
election business, I was listening to talk of the late Douglas Adams'
masterwork on the radio and thought � I know, I'll pick up the next
hitchhikers I see and ask them what the state of real hitching is
today in Britain.

I drove and drove on main roads and side roads for the next few days
and never saw a single one. When I was in my teens and 20s,
hitchhiking was a main form of long-distance transport. The kindness
or curiosity of strangers took me all over Europe, North America, Asia
and southern Africa. Some of the lift-givers became friends, many
provided hospitality en route.

Not only did you find out much more about a country than when
travelling by train or plane, but there was that element of excitement
about where you would finish up that night. I'm sure I've blotted out
the long, depressing waits in the rain, and I know that a woman who
hitched solo would not have such warm memories, but I can still recall
a couple of dozen spectacular rides and drivers. Hitchhiking featured
in great books, On the Road, great songs "Me and Bobby McGee" and even
merited its own eponymous dance. So what has happened to it?

A few years ago, while in Los Angeles, I asked the same question about
hitching in the U.S. in a column on Guardian Unlimited website (of the
London-based Guardian newspaper). I had picked up a hitchhiker who had
spent more than a day waiting on a busy highway in California, and we
had talked about the problems of contemporary hitching in the U.S. The
GU site is a wonderful research facility. Literally hundreds of people
from all over the world responded to the column with their view on the
state of hitchhiking.

"If there is a hitchhiker's heaven it must be Iran," came one reply.
>From Transylvania, I received this: "Everybody hitches and everybody
stops. I wait only minutes generally for lifts. There is a culture of
hitching and paying the driver a little for the lift, probably a
quarter of the bus fare. Often they refuse it." Rural Ireland was
recommended as a friendly place for hitching, as was Quebec � "if you
don't mind being berated for not speaking French."

But while hitchhiking was clearly still alive and well in many parts
of the world, the general feeling was that throughout much of the west
it was doomed.

A thing of the past

Americans had various explanations as to why it was largely a thing of
the past. Some pointed out that teenagers could now own a car, or that
the freeways were closed to pedestrians, while others suggested that
the litigious culture was partly to blame, with drivers fearing a
lawsuit if there was an accident. But most blamed a fearful nation.
Fed on a diet of crime news, people assumed that anyone on the open
road without the money for even a bus ticket must present a danger. Is
the same now true in Britain? Certainly no one who reads and believes
the London Daily Mail newspaper would be likely to open their car door
to a stranger lest something dreadful befall them. But are the rest of
us so wary both to hitch and to give a lift?

In Poland in the 1960s, according to a Polish woman who emailed me,
"the authorities introduced the Hitchhiker's Booklet. Every hitchhiker
who had it could write down how many kilometres they covered. The
booklet contained coupons for drivers, so each time a driver picked up
somebody, he or she received a coupon. At the end of the season,
drivers who had picked up the most hikers were rewarded with various
prizes. Everybody was hitchhiking then."

A century before Douglas Adams wrote his Hitchhiker's Guide, another
adventure story writer, Robert Louis Stevenson, gave us, in El Dorado,
what should be the hitchhiker's motto: "To travel hopefully is a
better thing than to arrive." What better time to put that into
practice, either by putting it to the test or by helping someone who
is trying to travel hopefully with their thumb outstretched.







------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/uTGrlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to