A Child's First Impressions of Death

  By William H. Beard.
  Harper's Magazine | September 6, 2004.
  http://www.harpers.org/AChildsFirstImpressionsOfDeath.html 


(Lessons learned from the deaths of poor Frank and little Mary, who
had the canker-rash. Originally from Harper's New Monthly Magazine,
vol. 64, iss. 384, pp. 822-824, May 1882. 
Sources)

(William H. Beard (1824-1900) was known for his lithographic
renderings of dancing bears.)


The conception of its own mortality does not naturally occur to the
child. Life is the recognized fact, and my confidence of exemption
from the common and inevitable fate of all mankind was early shaken by
the death of two playmates.

One morning in June our old teacher's little flock were all present in
the brick school-house at the end of the village, except one boy. The
teacher, upon opening the school, said, solemnly, that little Frank
had the canker-rash,[1] and explaining to us the dangerous nature of
the malady, admonished us to keep away from the neighborhood of his
residence. His words seemed to make no impression, save perhaps a
vague feeling of envy of Frank, who was free from confinement in
school. But day by day the teacher each morning reported poor Frank as
worse, and still worse, until one morning he told us, with tremulous
voice, that he was dead. Early in the morning, he said, while we were
all sleeping comfortably in our beds, God had taken him away forever.
Our slow sympathies were finally aroused, and we looked and felt as
sad as we could. Some of the girls cried, and looked reproachfully at
those who did not, and seemed quite to plume themselves upon their
moral superiority. Still, we scarcely understood that our mate was
gone forever, never to come among us again, that he was dead, or
rather what death meant, and in a little time poor Frank seenied
forgotten by his schoolmates, even by the girls who cried.

School was dismissed the afternoon of the funeral, that the children
might attend, and I saw the pale face of my schoolmate in his coffin,
but do not remember that I experienced any alarm, or that it made any
weighty impression upon my mind. As Frank lived in a distant part of
the village, and we seldom met except at school, I was probably not
intimate enough with him to feel his death as I did that of another
companion when, later in the season, the same dread disease attacked a
bright little girl just across the street from my own home, with whom
I and the other children played habitually when out of school. My
fears, which had perhaps been somewhat disturbed by the death of
Frank, were now thoroughly awakened.The dread that came over me was
very great, and when, in three days, from life and perfect health,
little Mary died, I was terrified. On the day of the funeral I watched
the preparations with painful interest. I saw the cabinet-maker (there
was no other undertaker) bring the plain deal coffin, and two men whom
I did not know brought the old bier, gray with long exposure to the
weather, and placed it on the grass in the front yard. There were, I
noted, two slats of new board nailed across the top, which I knew were
to accommodate the little coffin, and wondered if the carpenter had
first measured to make sure. The two men lingered a moment to speak
together, and one raised his foot and placed it upon the bier, while
he leaned his elbow upon his knee for greater ease, which I thought
sacrilege, such a sanctity pervaded every thing that pertained to
death. Soon a few early comers gathered about the gate, and I crossed
the road to listen to their remarks, made in an under-tone. They spoke
of the prevalence of the terrible disease, and its unusual fatality
that season, compared the respective powers of the two leading
physicians to cope with it, and enumerated the victims already fallen.
Then they discussed the character of the dead child, spoke warmly of
her intelligence and virtues, and kindly of her faults, charitably
attributing them to the unguided, unrestrained life she had led until
she had come to this recent home. A decent solemnity prevailed at the
funeral, and I saw that some of the older members of the family, with
other sympathetic females, shed tears, and I wondered why, knowing
that Mary was no kin of theirs. But there were no real mourners, so to
speak, for poor Mary was a sort of waif in the quiet community, who
had been taken by our neighbor, perhaps in charity, from a family of
children a mile or so outside the village, whose parents had both
died, and left these little ones with no near relatives to care for them.

Her position, I presume, was somewhat that of a servant in the family,
though in that primitive country and those early days such
distinctions were very slight. At all events, whatever may have been
the child's position in the family she lived with, she was one, and a
prominent one, of a group of children of that particular neighborhood
who were much together, played, quarrelled, and made up, as children
do, and by her death the conviction was forced upon my young mind that
I too was mortal, and in my ignorance I made myself miserable with
apprehension. I shrank from looking at my playmate in her coffin, yet
was impelled by an infatuation I could not withstand; and when I
looked down upon that little lifeless figure, so white and motionless,
I understood the change, and saw and felt how great it was.

Poor little Mary was very plain, and was in life painfully conscious
of it. Though she could resent vigorously any allusion to it by her
mates, she would shrink away timidly when she discovered that she was
the object of especial observation on the part of her seniors. In
death how changed! There was no shrinking now from the gaze of any.
How unbecoming that pallor was, making the brown freckles more
conspicuous by contrast, as also the red hair, about which she was so
sensitive in life, and which was now combed back from the narrow
forehead! Her thin hands were stiffly folded across the little breast.
As I noted each minute circumstance and detail with dreadful exactness
that impressed them upon my memory, I felt that it was unfair and
cruel to expose her thus to the gaze of the curious, and from my very
heart I pitied her, and felt a sense of guilt and entire blame that I
had ever quarrelled or been angry with her.

In the excess of my fears, my tumultuous feelings carried me without
ceremony back to my home?not into the house, however, but to the
garden, where I always retired when laden with sorrows and
perplexities too great for the confinement of our cottage walls.
There, entirely screened from view by a patch of early corn, I sat
upon a potato hill, and told my troubles and anxieties to Fido, my dog.

Fido sympathized with all my moods, rejoiced when I was happy, was
miserable when I was sad, gave unhesitating assent to all I asserted,
and never entertained a doubt of the correctness of my opinions. Could
child or man ask more perfect friendship? And so I sat, mused, cried,
and divided my troubles with my trusty friend, and made him as
wretched as I, while he replied to my remarks, in his dog way, by
various well-understood signs, sniffed, licked his jaws, and trod
nervously with his white fore-feet, and so expressed his sympathy with
my every thought and feeling. I told him how easy it would be for me
to get the canker-rash, and die, as poor little Mary had; and what
would become of him? Then I thought Fido might die of some disease
peculiar to his kind?dogs did not live always?and put my arm around
his neck, and cried bitterly, and Fido licked my face in sympathy. In
my selfish misery, my fears did not go out beyond the patch of corn. I
only thought of myself and dog; I had no apprehension for the other
children. I suppose the confidence I had hitherto felt in my exemption
from death was transferred to them, if, indeed, I thought of them at
all. There had been some hills opened for early potatoes, and many,
too small for use, lay scattered about upon the loose earth. The
thought struck me, what if little children prematurely torn from life,
should also be discarded as useless, and then fell to crying again,
and Fido licked away my tears.

At length I grew weary of this alternate weeping and brooding, and
Fido's too ready assent, and went into the house to find my mother,
who had returned from the funeral, and told her all my woes. She said
little Mary had been very headstrong, and would not keep within-doors
when first taken ill, nor take the medicine the doctor left for her,
and told me, if I did not want to be sick, to be obedient to the
doctor's directions, as well as to her own commands, which I so gladly
promised to do. When I told her of the metaphor of the small potatoes,
a faint smile played about her features for a moment; then she asked
me if I did not remember what the Saviour had said of little children,
and of His love for them. I was greatly comforted; and Fido, who sat
by with anxious, inquiring look, seeing my brightened expression,
capered about for joy. My childish fears were quieted, to be sure, but
I never regained my former confidence. That early impression of
mortality, deepened by later experiences, has never quite left my
mind, but comes unbidden at all seasons to claim a moment's attention,
in the hours of relaxation and pleasure as well as of care and sorrow.
In the busy day and in the silence of the night it is to me as the
human skull to the pious recluse, a constant reminder of life's
uncertainty, and mingles with every thought and feeling. "In the midst
of laughter we are sorrowful, and the end of that mirth is heaviness."








--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to