The KK axis of evil 
 
Quite right, Sri Ramakrishna! 
 
By Daya G., The Indian Express, February 17, 2006

Please switch off the TV and I don't want any more from that news 
channel," mother shouted to me.

"Why, Mom?" I asked. 

"There is nothing but this scandal or that scandal, or `so and so 
got this much money from so and so' and `for such and such dirty 
work'. For the past three months we have had scam after scam on TV, 
including a repeat of the ancient Bofors issue. Yet, TV channels are 
still not satisfied and only our local havalidars, who collect small 
bribes from your brother for rash driving, seem to be left alone," 
lectured mother. 

"Mom, a leading TV has covered that too, in Delhi local policemen 
are now facing the heat," I chipped in, and added, "If you say that 
I should not switch on news channels, then you should not watch any 
serials either." Mother wanted to know why. I then explained that if 
the news channels were full of scams involving money and power, 
serials were full of scandals, involving adultery. 

"Okay, if news channels are the devil, serials are the deep sea. Sri 
Ramakrishna was quite right in saying that KK is the axis of all 
evils in this age," mother said. 

"Mom, KK? The serial Keshav Kalshi has receded from public memory. 
You are talking history," I butted in. 

"My dear, KK is not your Keshav Kalshi, or his gang of goons. KK is 
kamini and kanchan, which Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa said will be 
the root cause of all our modern evils. He was really a visionary 
when he cautioned us to be careful about the above two Ks," mom went 
on. 

What she said was true. In one way or the other, it was either money 
(kanchan) or women (kamini) that lay behind all the recent scandals 
plaguing society today. But they are both so ubiquitous that it 
seems there is no way out of the conundrum. 

When I emerged from my stream of thought, I heard mother ending her 
observation with the words, "I accept that it is difficult in modern 
times to keep up our standards, but we all can do one thing — be 
careful not to wear our weakness for K and K on our sleeve. And, by 
the way, Sri Ramakrishna's birth anniversary falls tomorrow!" 

Now how's that for a lesson in morality, the media, and mothers? 



 
 









--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to