Hinduism on the London Underground
  
By Ritesh Jigani
  
http://www.hinduvoice.co.uk/Issues/2/Underground.htm

  
Standing on a packed train on the way home from university, I was feeling 
terrible. It had been a hard week, I was annoyed with several colleagues, the 
train had been delayed and everybody nearby seemed to be coughing and sneezing 
on me! In the rush to get onto the train people were barging each other and 
getting into heated arguments. I was feeling erratic, as if I would hit someone 
at the slightest provocation.
   
  As all this frustration and anger was swirling around in my head, I started 
thinking about what advise Hinduism could give me in a situation like this. I 
started contemplating advice that I had heard during lectures, or read from 
books. Recalling some helpful anecdotes from a talk I'd attended in the past, I 
felt better. It quickly occurred to me that it wasn't justifiable for me to be 
so angry and frustrated. People die of starvation or lose their loved ones to 
terrorism, on an almost daily basis. By comparison, I had little to complain 
about.
  
Then I thought about the concept of indwelling God, the idea that every person 
has a portion of the divine residing within him or her. Up until then I'd been 
growing increasingly annoyed at the people standing around me. But now I tried 
to think of God's presence in all of these people. Slowly my anger began to 
subside. Already I had come a long way towards restored sanity, the result of a 
few minutes of positive thinking.
  
But the journey home still had a long way to go. People were cramming onto the 
train in larger and larger numbers (even though any onlooker would have thought 
it was already packed to capacity). And my headache was not improving. Then I 
had an idea. I would chant God's name to help pass the time. Since ancient 
times, Hinduism has placed great value in "Japa" (repeating God's name with 
concentration and devotion). Many references from Hindu scriptures confirm this 
(e.g. Bhagavad Gita 10:25). Up until recently, I had thought that to keep 
repeating "Hari Om" or "Rama Rama" (or whatever else) is a generally pointless 
exercise. But some of my peers who actually practiced Japa had spoken of its 
great benefits, and I'd wanted to see this for myself for quite some time. "No 
better time than the present," I said to myself, and began repeating a mantra 
in my mind.
  
Within a few minutes I felt so much better. My mind was composed, my headache 
appeared to be subsiding, and my outlook towards everybody around me changed. I 
became filled with positive energy, and wanted nothing more than to do good to 
everybody around me. It was as if I could feel God's presence filling the whole 
area. Before, my mind was full of lust and the desire to possess more. Now I 
just felt happy like I already had everything I needed. By the time I reached 
home I felt great, and even helped out around the house a bit (my dad thought 
there was something wrong with me).
   
  Reflecting on this episode, I realised that I'd experienced first hand the 
dire need of spirituality in modern life.

                
---------------------------------
 Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new 
and used cars.




--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to