How they love to stereotype Asians 

Hasan Suroor | The Hindu | September 06, 2006

http://www.hindu.com/2006/09/06/stories/2006090605801100.htm


NOTHING DELIGHTS large sections of the British media more than 
seizing on what they see as one more example of "barbaric" practices 
among Third World immigrants. Facts and restraint are, then, 
sacrificed at the altar of sensational headlines based on 
speculation and, often, plain gossip. Especially, if it is August — 
the famously silly season — when newspapers struggle to fill space 
and TV channels simply do not know what do with all that extra air-
time. 

In the last week of August, they got what they wanted: a story 
guaranteed to sell, and reinforce the Asian stereotype. And it lived 
up to its promise. The story of 12-year-old Molly Campbell being 
allegedly abducted by her Pakistani father with the aim of forcibly 
marrying her off in Pakistan has been running for nearly two weeks 
now with British journalists flying to Lahore to chronicle the saga 
of a white girl caught up in a "clash of two cultures." If it were a 
movie, it would be a blockbuster. 

So, who is Molly Campbell and how did she come to dominate the 
headlines across two continents? 

Molly, who insists on being called Misbah Iram Ahmed Rana — the name 
given to her by her Muslim father — is the youngest of four children 
of Sajad Ahmed Rana, a Pakistani immigrant, and his Scottish wife 
Louise Campbell. After their marriage broke up four years ago, while 
three children moved in with their father, Molly stayed with her 
mother who was given her legal custody. Mr. Rana and other children, 
including Molly's elder sister Tahmina, shifted to Pakistan. 

The "drama" began on August 24 when Molly/Misbah, who lived with her 
mother and mother's partner in a remote and windswept island in 
Scotland, did not return home from school. 

Instead she travelled to Glasgow where she met her father and 
Tahmina and flew out to Lahore with them triggering allegations — 
and screaming media headlines — that she had been "snatched" from 
outside the schoolgates and forcibly taken away to Pakistan. It was 
alleged that she might be pushed into a "forced" marriage — a 
practice which, we were told, was "common" among immigrants from the 
Indian subcontinent, especially Pakistanis. 

For one full week, until Molly appeared with her father at a press 
conference in Lahore to declare that she had left Britain of her own 
free will, the media in Britain had a field day feeding alarming 
stories about her "safety" and the motives of her father. For the 
tabloids, in search of juicy immigrant-bashing stories, it was as 
good as it could get in a lean season. "Abducted!", "Molly or 
Misbah?" they asked while social activists grimly speculated about 
what could happen to her in Pakistan. 

A spokesperson for a leading international child abduction centre 
explained how Pakistan was particularly notorious. "We deal with 300 
to 400 new abductions every single year and the cases with Pakistan 
are actually increasing," she said. 

Bloggers worked overtime to heap curses on "foreigners" who could 
abduct white little children with impunity. On the other side, angry 
Muslim voices waded in to describe the media reaction 
as "Islamophobic" and "racist." 

"I wonder if there would have been such a media storm if it was 
Misbah Iram Ahmed Rana who had been taken to Pakistan rather than 
Molly Campbell. I confess to initially thinking — how awful, a poor 
little British girl suddenly plunged into a completely different 
culture by her cruel Pakistani father who wanted to marry her off to 
some 67 year old... But how much of that thought was because she was 
called Molly? I just don't think that most cases like this make the 
news when the children have names like Yusaf or Mohammed," wrote one 
blogger. 

Then on September 1, Molly surfaced in Lahore to clear up the 
confusion. She said her name was "not Molly." 

"It's Misbah and I ran away to be with my dad in Pakistan," she 
said. 

Dressed in a salwar kameez and with her bearded father by her side, 
she said: "It was my own choice. I asked my sister if I could go 
with her. I knew that my mum would miss me, but I missed my 
family. ... I had pictures all over my walls of my family when I was 
in Stornoway (the island in Scotland). I always cried." 

She said she had informed her mother, the police, and her school 
authorities that she was leaving of her own free will. "I'm not a 
runaway," she told The Guardian, adding: "And I'm not going back 
there. I told them in my letters I was going with my dad and my 
family, that I was safe and it was all my choice." 

Meanwhile, her parents continue to fight for her custody. 

But this piece is not about the merits of the case (certainly, Mr. 
Rana was wrong in taking the girl with him without her legal 
guardian's conduct) but about a climate in which a family dispute in 
a little-known island can spark off a national media frenzy simply 
because of the religion and ethnicity of those involved.









--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to