Looking Back: Days of grated ice balls and `tikam'

Zainal Aznam Yusof | New Straits Times | November 26, 2006

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/Columns/20061126092011/Article/index_html


A gentleman recently reminded me about that. I am just wondering if
my father had known and was a reason why he wanted me enrolled there.

The gentleman also stated that the school was not actually along
Batu Road.

He is right. It was about 150 metres away. A loop road, he said it
was Broderick Road, served as our access route to it.

Actually there was a small padang in front of the school and after
that, a number of single-storey cream- coloured wooden buildings
housing some government departments.

These buildings took away the school's open frontage and view of
Batu Road.

It was along the loop road that school buses, parents, trishaw men
and hawkers waited.

The teachers discouraged us buying anything from the hawkers, but
some of what they sold was difficult to resist.

So we bought our five cents worth of sweetened grated ice balls or
10 cents of ice-cold pineapple flavoured drinks which were really
nice on a hot day.

Others went for the ice cream man who also had attached to his box a
small wooden wheel for those who wanted to spin and try their luck
at getting more than one cut of an ice cream bar.

Sometimes there were peddlers offering a form of lucky draw (or
tikam).

This was paying for and pulling off a small piece of folded paper
among the many that were pasted onto a card. Inside each was a
number.

You win something if you obtain a number that corresponded to the
same-numbered prizes attached. These were usually some small cheap
toys, pieces of sweet wafers or prawn crackers.

This kind of lucky draw was all over town in those days.

I still think it was fun and quite harmless as nobody ever got
hooked on it.

The cendol man was always there along with the chee cheong fun and
yong tau fu seller. The latter would stand patiently beside his
bicycle with all of his wares in a box secured to the back carrier.

The chee cheong fun, brownish taufu skins and stuffed taufu,
splashed with black and red sauces before a sprinkling of sesame
seeds, was served on small metal saucers.

It looked tasty but, surprisingly, I did not see crowds of boys
going for him. I did not know why.

After two or three sales, he would push his bicycle and cycle slowly
away. Somehow I felt sorry for him.

But he would be back again the next day and every schooling day
after that. I was glad. His was a lesson in determination and
perseverance.

Apparently there were also gangsters or just aggressive young
schoolboys.

They even extorted five cents protection money from their victims.

I did not face that kind of problem; but I did encounter some young
touts, outsiders trying to sell playing-card-sized pictures of I
knew not what.

We were quick to move away when these touts appeared because they
looked bully-like and intimidating. You did not want to get into a
fight and be expelled from school because of them.

The gentleman also asked if I remembered the double-decker buses
plying from Foch Avenue. According to him, that service was stopped
because of complaints that passengers in the upper deck could see
into the bedrooms on the first floor of shophouses.

I had always thought that the real reason was economic.

But I cannot forget that crowded Foch Avenue terminal because it was
there that I witnessed a very angry bus worker swinging away with a
nightstick at his workmate during a quarrel.

I did get a little frightened and confused seeing two full-sized
adults going after each other with such tempest.

Looking back I cannot help but recall and wonder about many things.
I feel nostalgic over some and want to laugh over the rest.

It was early that you were thrust out to face and chance life by
perceiving others and things "as you are and not as they are".

That perception thus was your own unique reality not knowing it was
different from others'.

You almost certainly did not know that everyone and everything
teaches and makes you become what you are today.

I now know what the blacksmiths opposite Odeon cinema did. I watched
them pant and sweat, forging on the anvil red-hot pieces of metal
pulled out of the burning coal furnace.

"It must be difficult," I remember thinking, never seeing the end
product of their labour.

It could have been that the blacksmiths themselves, working on part
of a process, did not know where the pieces they worked hard on
eventually ended up.

I suppose teachers too have that same question about their pupils.

My constant wonder is always the unglamorous name of Batu Road. If
batu was translated it would read as "Stone Road".

That road ran through a busy shopping area and ended before the
court building and Selangor Club padang. Why the name and how did
that name survive during the British days together with the
Princess, Hale, Broderick, Mountbatten, Campbell, Church and Bluff
roads connected to or around it?

In the end it did not.

Batu Road, if it matters to anyone, is the present Jalan Tuanku
Abdul Rahman. Maybe we should leave it now just at that.

Reply via email to