The Sufi Sell-Out

Farzana Versey | The Asian Age | May 15, 2007

http://www.asianage.com/presentation/leftnavigation/opinion/op-ed/the-sufi-sell-out.aspx


Are you a Sufi?" he had asked. "You can say that," I replied rather
shamelessly. Since I was not in the flush of youth I could not claim
to be a Marxist, so Sufism seemed like a safe bet.

"I see you are not a typical Muslim," was the response.

Sufism, which is thought to be an offshoot of Islam, is being used
to temper the jihadi face of the religion. This is most offensive.
Has anyone asked Hindus to follow the Brahmo Samaj or the Bhakti
movements only because some red-haired Vanzara guy likes encounters
of the thud kind?

Today, being a Sufi is like being a hippie. You can get away with
anything. It has become a convenient cop-out for those who don't
want to identify with any religion. What does a statement like "I do
not believe in organised religion" mean? Religion is about a belief
system and there is nothing like unorganised religion, though all
are often disorganised.

Then there are those who say they are "cultural Muslims." This
essentially means they greet you with an "adaab," cook sevaiyaan,
speak Bollywood Urdu, enjoy a drink and the occasional "Sufi mujra"
and say things like, "Islam needs to change with the times."

Their favourite calling card is Jalalludin Rumi, the Sufi poet. And
any singer who sounds like s/he is gargling claims to believe in
Sufism — there is bhangra Sufi, Sufi pop. The Sufi rocks. It is
important to dress the part — unkempt clothes, hair dishevelled and
lust in the eyes. This, we will be told, is lust for union with God.

Hindi cinema that is always quick on the uptake has a surfeit
of "Allah ke bande" and "Ya Ali" stuff doing the rounds. The videos
stick to the spiritual quest by showing flying objects and
outstretched hands.

Now I hear that even Bahadur Shah Zafar is being called a Sufi
because he went to temples wearing a tilak and sacred thread.
Please! Sufism is not about sightseeing trips to various god-houses.
There is a lot of self-righteous noise being made because our
government is not interested in bringing his remains back to the
country.

There is no reason to go on about his pining for the soil of his
birth; he is not here and to wake up after all these years is
obviously a new liberal ploy. Amaresh Misra wrote recently, "If
brought to India, Zafar's remains would be turned into a memorial
which millions of ordinary Hindus and Muslims would visit as a
pilgrimage site … there will be a surge of emotions powerful enough
to wash away enmities. Zafar's mazaar would heal the Hindu-Muslim
divide. For the RSS this indeed is a nightmare situation."

What a shallow reason. Or merely a way to hit back at the saffron
brigade? Hollow symbolic gestures are unimportant, especially if
they have lost all validity. We do not need one more mazaar that is
politically-motivated.

Sufi tombs are big-time money spinners, anyway. I finally made it to
Ajmer from Jaipur. It had taken me years to reach the Khwaja's
sanctum. I had begun to believe in this "bulaava nahin aaya" thing.
I had spoken with an elderly friend who is deep into spiritualism.
He said, "Baba will try to see you do not reach there. It is to test
you. You have to take it as a challenge."

The idea that a "pir" who I had not said anything against and who I
was not planning to ask anything from would want to test me was a
dampener. Sometimes it is best for an idea to remain just that.
Stepping out of the air-conditioned comfort of the car, having
replenished myself with bottled water and organic biscuits, I was
thrust into the gullies where every cute young boy claimed to be a
Sufi. This looked like a peek into a heaven where God has promised
one the best houris and ghilmans. I see this as the true spirit of
Islam — no sham of renunciation, rather an acceptance of the good
things that we forgo on earth due to morality.

At the dargah, if you are not a head of state or Katrina Kaif
showing her legs, they assault you. It is a package deal where you
are not left alone; a guide takes you around and decides where you
stand, where you throw the flowers — yes, throw — and how long you
pray. A few petals fell on the floor and I was reprimanded for
insulting the blessings that were showered on me by a man with
grease on his palms.

"London se aaye hai?" he asked.

"No."

"America?"

"How is it important?"

"I can recognise people from all over the world. You give what you
want, I do not ask. I am a Sufi."

"Me too," I declared with aplomb. I immensely enjoy this "looking
for the self" vanity. And God is certainly not in the retail.

Every time I pass the Haji Ali dargah in Mumbai, right in the middle
of the vast expanse of water, I do cast a glance in the direction. I
feel embarrassed sometimes, for although the white structure stands
beautifully, I know it is the sea that I find beguiling, a sea that
has listened to many more of my cries and answered many more of my
whys.

"Kyon hifaazat hum aur ki dhoondhen

har nafas jab ki hai Khuda hafiz

chaahe rukhsat ho raah-e-ishq mein aql

ai `Zafar' jaane do Khuda hafiz".

Farzana Versey can be contacted at [EMAIL PROTECTED]



Reply via email to