Hi, my name is Jeff Achen and I am journalist, graduate student and
former American Peace Corps volunteer who lived in Ilam, Nepal in
2002-2003. I am currently researching the role the Nepali media plays
in the Maoist conflict. My research focuses on the Nepali media's use
of "framing." Framing is defined by Todd Gitlin as "persistent
patterns of cognition, interpretation, and presentation, of selection,
emphasis, and exclusion, by which symbol-handlers routinely organize
discourse, whether verbal or nonverbal." Basically, framing can be
understood as the way journalists decide which pieces of information
to include and exclude when reporting. By drawing on research in
conflict resolution I hope to identify more specific ways in which the
Nepali media is helping resolve the conflict and ways in which it is
making it worse.

I invite comments and suggestions from media practitioners. I also
would like to interview Nepali journalists. I can be reached at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeff Achen
University of North Dakota
School of Communication
Grand Forks, ND 58201
[EMAIL PROTECTED]


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/uTGrlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

��������������������������������������������������������
Members of the ZESTMedia list exchange news and views about the media in 
Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Bhutan. Write to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTMedia by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

Get all ZESTMedia mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. 
Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to [EMAIL 
PROTECTED], OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

====== theZESTcommunity ======================================

[1] ZESTCurrent: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCurrent/
[2] ZESTEconomics: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTEconomics/
[3] ZESTGlobal: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/
[4] ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
[5] ZESTPoets: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTPoets/
[6] ZESTCaste: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/
[7] ZESTAlternative: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTAlternative/
[8] TalkZEST: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TalkZEST/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to