http://www.minivannews.com/news/news.php?id=3007

The Pitiful State Of Maldivian Web Media
By the editorial team
March 11, 2007

I feel I ought to comment on the debate about the debate in the Maldives.

Adam Cooper has made the point that Fact Maldives and Dhivehi Observer
lower the tone of the political debate.

The tone is already pitifully low. There is hardly any analysis and
anyone with any insight and wit generally likes to keep their head
below the parapet.

Instead we get a bunch of barely literate thugs leading the debate,
mostly by victimising and abusing each other. It is not politics, it
is just petty private arguments carried out in public.

Fact Maldives in particular, is aimed at bullying people into
submission, so they stop their resistance of the government. The most
recent example in English is the victimisation of Fathimath Shiuna.
They have detected a weak spot and think they can bully her into
stopping her support of the MDP. It is pathetic.

It is also sad. It is about time people realised that the Maldives has
a chance, at last, to be governed with the interests of the people at
heart. Until now it has been governed truly cynically, with the
government working to serve itself, and make its own supporters rich,
whilst neglecting the people.

The neglect has resulted in abysmal public services, like an education
system which actually educates very few. Instead the rich go abroad to
get a decent education. The rest have to put up with terrible
standards. But at last, Maldivians have an opportunity to sit down and
resolve these problems. Petty squabbles do not help that aim.

The other thing I do not understand is why people are so keen on Fact
Maldives and DO. Both portray their respective political groups
terribly. Fact Maldives, which just about everybody believes is run by
the police, with its bullying and exposés of 'sluts' and ferocious
loyalty to the government, makes the Gayoom regime and the police look
like a bunch of sinister, violent scumbags. What's more, its
elementary use of English makes them look like a load of barely
literate fools.

Their response to Adam's 'Lowering the Tone' article was one called
'Increasing the Tone.' You cannot increase a tone - you raise it. One
more example of the illiteracy of the FM thugs.

Ibrahim Shafiq's response also said, "You can call me a terrorist, but
I will not wait to see our nation being run by a gang of foreigners
like you, who also claim to be Friends of Maldives. I swear that I
will not hesitate to chop their heads for the betterment of this
nation." Illegal? Look at Ahmed Abbas' trial. What he said was far
less violent. But somehow I feel this illiterate thug will not be
brought before a court for what he has written.

So Fact makes the government and its supporters look like thugs and
illiterates. When I first arrived here I got a bit of attention of
Faskaaf.com. I sent it to my friends who found it laughable. It was a
simple example of how the hate sites simply serve to make the
government look violent, sinister and without any responsibility to
the outside world. It was my friends' first exposure to Maldivian
politics. Did it give them a good impression?

I doubt the sites get more than about 500 readers a day either. Is it
really worth it?

DO also makes the MDP look like a bunch of not-fit-to-govern buffoons.
They are not, but the site often makes them look that way as articles
descend into petty rants against some other government crony. At least
they want to improve the system of government, instead of the
ultra-conservatives who just want to preserve their unjustified
over-privileged positions in society.

But isn't it time people actually started to give some thought towards
how to reform the country so it actually works?


This article was written by Will Jordan, editor of Minivan News

Reply via email to