http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/nov/07guest.htm


Tehelka sting: Time to speak out

Mahesh Peri | November 07, 2007 | 14:07 IST

Being the publisher of a large magazine is a blessing as well as a
curse. You are in an enviable position to be a social change agent.
However, you are supposed to treat all other media -- including good
journalism -- as competition and treat them with suspicion.
Post the Tehelka sting, planned and executed at Tehelka's offices and
later aired on Aaj Tak and Headlines Today as a joint operation, many
media-watchers have asked me a very common but sinister question: "Why
now? Don't you think it is motivated?" Every questioner was looking at
an answer that wanted me to ignore the content and focus on the
motives behind the operation. And motives, we know, can always be
insinuated, even imputed.

Gujarat riots a genocide, Modi sanctioned it: Tehelka

I have known Tarun and Aniruddha Bahal (now operating CobraPost, which
has aired many exposes on many other channels), the founders of
Tehelka, for long. As their publisher when they were at Outlook, I
used to be both excited and fearful of their exploits, but never saw
any reason to doubt their motives. At Outlook, we believe in following
a story and putting it in the public domain, without bothering about
the after-effects.

Even at the cost of sounding immodest, I implicitly assume that the
people groomed at Outlook continue to follow the same philosophy. And,
even if I hadn't ever known Tarun or Tehelka, I would still go with
the contents of the sting and not look at excuses to rubbish the
operation.

And lastly, if they have tried to recover some of their costs by
selling it to any television channel, and that too a channel as big as
Aaj Tak, I don't have a problem. Tehelka is a commercial enterprise
whose survival depends as much on making their work viable as on
credible journalism. And let's remember the power of television which
is important in reaching a larger number of people.

However, the response that the sting has evoked from some among us is
both shameful and dangerous. And when it comes from leaders -- the
so-called intellectuals and especially editors who are supposed to
mould public opinion -- it is despicable. I have read Chandan Mitra
(in the latest issue of Outlook) and I am constrained to say that I am
happy not to have ever known or met him. I think I am freer than him
because I can see, hear and process everything that is said on camera
not through the prism of my own magazine, organisation or people.

Will the Tehelka sting indirectly benefit Modi?

Mr Mitra wants you to investigate Godhra and the 1984 riots before the
current operation is taken at face value. Just because the infamous
Delhi schoolteacher sting was a contrived operation, he would have you
rubbish this sting as well. He wants you to justify the timing of the
operation before the contents are accepted at face value.

It just doesn't end there. Elected representatives and public
officials seem to be excused on the grounds of being 'braggarts' (and
no, I will not say anything about his research at Oxford University)
-- 'small-time, small town politicians who are known to exaggerate
their importance given half a chance'. He seemed more bothered about
the money that Aaj Tak paid Tehelka and the money made by mobile phone
operators than the contents of the sting operation.

Have we as a country fallen to such a state that murders, rapes,
wrenching the foetus out of a pregnant woman, hacking a person bit by
bit and then burning him alive have all become part of 'bragging'? If
this is the country that Mr Mitra thinks he represents as a
parliamentarian, then our leaders have failed us in creating a civil
society and on that charge alone, they must be driven away.

Have we fallen to such a state that every political party in this
country -- the stung included -- would benefit out of a systematic
dehumanising of our collective conscience? Can't we as a country
prevent people from benefiting out of mass rapes and murders? Do we
need to see even the most despicable things that happen around us
through a prism of caste, creed, religion, political parties,
competition, business, sex, region, and so on?

The political compulsions are such that the stung party that should be
ashamed is seems smug and even jubilant whereas the Opposition
Congress, that should have been creating a hue and cry, looks visibly
shaken and most unhappy. A day after the contents were aired, we had a
Union minister belonging to the Congress claiming it to be a Bharatiya
Janata Party operation to 'encash the sentiments of the people through
an overexposed Godhra episode'.

Both the BJP and the Congress are spreading the word about the sting
operation having been done at the other party's behest. No one wants
to take the issue further; it is vote bank politics at the worst. Even
a statesman that our prime minister is supposed to be has not uttered
a single word condemning the contents of the expose.

Under the Press and Registration of Books Act (which regulates the
publishing industry in India), as a publisher you are responsible for
everything that is printed in your publication. At the same time,
following the basic tenets of editorial freedom, I get to know about
all the stories published in Outlook along with millions of our
readers. And no matter what the laws say, that is how it ought to be
and I am proud to be working in such an environment.

Being a publisher with tens of cases filed by Raja Bhayyas and
Narendra Modis, I have become immune to cases filed by certain kinds
of people, especially politicians. So perhaps I should not be too
concerned by their reactions to the Tehelka expose. But when I see
people becoming immune to tragedy, death and human suffering, I think
it is time for the average Indian to speak out.

Mahesh Peri is the publisher, Outlook group

Reply via email to