http://kuenselonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=11945


And so we move on …

5 February, 2009 - Kuensel's editor-in-chief, Kinley Dorji, has been
appointed secretary in the ministry of information and communication.
In his last days with Kuensel, he reflects on his experience with
Bhutan's national newspaper.


When we started publishing Kuensel twice a week, a reader complained
to me: "So we now have to read two preachings a week?"  It was a
legitimate complaint.  Editorial writers are always grappling with one
dilemma, that of making a point without sermonising.  The
responsibility of imposing ideas on people can be an uneasy exercise.
But it is one that must be done.  And, having written 1,020 editorials
- exercising the right to tell people what they do not want to hear -
the good news for my critics is that this is my last.


Having been granted a new mandate, I am moving on.  I believe it is
only right that we move on when we are getting more out of an
organisation than we are contributing to it.


Like generations of Bhutanese before me (and generations that will
come after me), I grew with Bhutanese society.  I believe in the
intricate web of karmic existence within which we are all destined to
a tiny role in the phenomenon of human existence.  So I do not wonder
that I grew up without newspapers, radio, or television and became a
journalist.


Like a number of others of my age group - give or take a few years - I
was plucked out of an innocent society and sent abroad to study, first
to India and then overseas.  We returned to privileged jobs, pioneers
by fate.  I didn't have to look for a job as a reporter.  By 1986, the
fourth Druk Gyalpo had decided that Bhutan needed a newspaper.  So we
started one.


As Bhutanese professionals look beyond the national horizon for better
opportunities today, I still hear the echoes of amazement of other
foreign students in our time: "Why do all of you go home after your
studies?"  Little did they know that we were a generation in
transition: "Because we're Bhutanese," we said.  And this was a
historical perspective.


In the two and a half decades I spent writing for Kuensel I had the
honour and privilege to belong anywhere and everywhere.  I have sat in
the Throne room.  I have sat with murderers in their prison cells.  I
listened to the fourth Druk Gyalpo announce his abdication.  I
listened to the first cry of a new-born baby in a new maternity ward.
I watched the transition of the Raven Crown and His Majesty the King
don the Dhar Na Nga.


The excitement comes from documenting the present as it becomes
history and by anticipating the future … all this through the most
passionate human drama.  The professional dignity of a journalist
comes with the mandate to talk to everyone and to ask questions, with
the legitimacy of being relevant in any situation.


Many of my editorials were written in hotel rooms and on buses,
trains, aircrafts, shopping malls, coffee shops, and bars.  Cradling a
laptop besides bikini-clad sunbathers in the Maldives can be fun.
Prostrating at sacred Hindu temples in India is sanctifying.  Because
of Kuensel I have flown to the fragile glacial lakes high above the
clouds and walked the tunnels below the salmon-filled Hokkaido river.
I dined with heads of state at national capitals and scrambled for the
last piece of meat at a lunch in Dagana.


At one stage we would send stories and photographs from the east by
jeep with three men driving in shifts.  Within a few years I got a
dial up connection at Kurizampa, where a sleepy woman charged me Nu
7.00 to send an editorial to Thimphu from an outdoor PCO booth.  In my
time at Kuensel the 15-kg metal typewriter changed into a portable
lightweight typewriter, then into an electronic typewriter, and then a
laptop.


Some say that journalists express, sometimes develop, the conscience
of a nation.  The role of the media is so important that a society can
be judged by how it treats its journalists.


Working in a society, which is transiting into a new era, is both
grave and exciting.  The right to question comes with the obligation
to find answers and to address issues around us with objectivity and
responsibility.  That is a high call but even if one person reads your
story and says, "Yes, that makes sense", it is an achievement.  If one
person has been given a good idea, it has been worthwhile.  If you've
helped make a small change, it has been a service.  And if you have
influenced national policy or thinking, you cannot ask for more.


We need journalism.  At a time when our society must delve deeper into
itself, we need Bhutanese journalists.  We need to ask those
uncomfortable questions.  We need discourse on important issues.  We
need to reflect on ourselves.  Gross National Happiness, which we talk
about so much, lies within us, not outside.  Democracy must take
shape.  Bhutanese must understand Bhutan.


In the early 1990s, encouraged by a royal decree that freed Kuensel
and BBS from government control, we were testing and expanding the
boundaries of free speech despite resistance from the society itself.
We had to nurture the idea of a free and, by the standards of an
unexposed readership, aggressive media.


Today, we are looking at the birth of a new generation of Bhutanese
media professionals.  They are taking on a huge mandate.  Some by
choice, some by fortune, they are placed in a position to influence
thinking and make a difference.  The literate audience, as in most
developing societies, are key decision-makers and journalists have the
opportunity to broadcast and write stories that will have impact.
They will have the privilege of hearing their ideas discussed in
important fora and of seeing some of them influence national policies.


Journalists eventually discover that journalism is not a job.  It is a
serious responsibility.  In the process, journalists face many
dilemmas and hardships.  They already face numerous complaints and
harassment.  It will get worse.  But a good journalist will not regret
a single moment of his or her career no matter how stressful it might
be.


And we have our own style in Bhutan.  I was given the title of "Ace
Reporter" before I even wrote my first decent story.  But, as far as
the profession itself was concerned, I had, somewhat unwittingly,
jumped on to a very sensitive balancing act.  Premature gray hair and
hypertension came with the profession.


But I believe it is journalism that has shaped my personal values and
perspectives by forcing me to confront myself, society, and the world.
 In the process, journalism has given me a horizon and deeper
understanding of my surroundings, my experiences, and myself.


So I have, once again, taken the privilege of imposing a part of my
story on those who read this piece.  To those, who are annoyed with
yet another sermon, I offer no apology.  To the young women and men,
who will become journalists, I offer my solidarity.  As I change my
job, some call it a promotion.  I see it as a mandate.  I believe that
journalists do not go up or down.  They just move around.


But, most important, I consider it critical that I keep looking at the
world as a journalist.


------------------------------------

--
INFORMATION OVERLOAD? 
Get all ZESTMedia mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. 
Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to 
[email protected], OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your 
settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE
Share media news, discuss journalism issues and network with media 
professionals across South Asia on this mailing list. Just write to 
[email protected] 

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTMedia by sending a blank 
mail to [email protected] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by 
visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTCaste: 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[email protected] 
    mailto:[email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to