yes, how very true, this speaks of almost every middle-aged woman......a girl's mind trapped in an ageing body. I sometimes dream I am still twenty or so.
In less somber vein, I wrote a memorial poem when Queen Elizabeth (the queen mother) died, in the same year as my father. She was famous for changing her residence every few months, and equally noted for her liking for gin... no irreverence meant, but her body's journey from one place to another struck me as bizarre.

THE PERIPATETIC QUEEN

I heard it today on the news;
One hundred and one,
And finally, she died. And
She was still on the move
From one royal residence
To the next. Embalmed, of course,
And probably wearing
Her favourite feathery hat,
Perhaps blue. She liked blue.
Lying in state at Westminster
While her subjects filed past
The coffin: poor thing,
The journeying not over yet,
The final resting-place to come.
But not a feather out of place,
I’ll bet on that, just as
One could probably bet
On the bottle of gin.

Jane Bhandari

ymursawsib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Her is a memorial verse from me which appeared some years ago in
Poems Niederngasse. You could call it a sort of memorial to spent
youth :-) Rumjhum

MIND OVER TIME

Here lives
A very young girl trapped
Within an old woman's body
Don't mock me
Please don't.
Why are all your senses
Focused on the façade alone?
Aren't you curious?
Don't you
Want to know what lies
Behind? What lies behind is
A very long
Life stitched
All over this ravaged body
The soul though sits unscathed.
That's why my
Soul sings
In spring and thrashes about
When winter howls, and
Murmurs
Seduction
In the blind heat of summer
My body dies. Everyday
Ashamed
Of my soul
Which refuses to grow old
Don't mock me. Please don't.
I am
Troubled
As it is. My wrinkles mock me
Enough. They are like vicious
Busy bodies
Slyly
Peeping through the cracks
They gossip. They can never
Understand
How
Wonderful it feels to feel
So young, even as this body
Dissipates.

(C) Rumjhum Biswas 2001

> On 12/15/05, jane bhandari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
> >
> > Now that is a nice one...thankyou. Should we perhaps now start a
chain of
> > memorial verse?
> >
> > jane

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/yqIolB/TM

You are encouraged to post poetry, respond critically to the poems circulated and participate in discussions. To post, email your message to ZESTPoets@yahoogroups.com OR post online at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTPoets/post/
Yahoo! Groups Links