On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 09:49:51AM -0700, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:47:44AM +0100, Robert Milkowski wrote:

> >> In a way multiple snapshots are separate file systems, or clones...
> >> What's the difference? However I'm sure you right...
>
> Well, snapshots are nontrivial too.  See
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/ahrens/entry/is_it_magic
>
> > Snapshot and clones are not autonomous datasets. A clone has always a
> > parent, you can use 'zfs promote' to switch the relatioship, but you
> > cannot make them independent, AFAIK.
> >
> > To Matthew: As I understand it, Robert was talking more about moving the
> > blocks to another dataset, not creating a hardlink-like situation - only
> > one dataset will reference the blocks after the move.
>
> Well, he said "copy/move".  "copy" implied to me that both filesystems would
> reference the same blocks.  And even if it is just "move", you still have the
> issue of snapshots from the original filesystem referencing it.  Changing the
> snapshots so they no longer reference the file?  Also nontrivial.

I'm sorry for trying to be too helpful:)

I understand it's not trivial, but beeing able to reference the same
block from different datasets would be a really nice feature to have.
The functionality discussed above if only one example. Another example
would be block aggregation (which has its own name I can't recall right
now), so we can run a thread once a day that frees duplicated blocks and
make datasets to point at one copy only.