> As has been mentioned on this forum, this would
> require a significant change
> to the way RAID-Z works. To my knowledge there is no
> such project at present.
> Do you have a use case where this is required?
>
> Adam
>
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 03:37:19PM -0400, Echo B
> wrote:
> > Apologies for the blank message (if it came
> through).
> >
> > I have heard here and there that there might be in
> development a plan
> > to make it such that a raid-z can grow its
> "raid-z'ness" to
> > accommodate a new disk added to it.
> > Example:
> > I have 4Disks in a raid-z[12] configuration. I am
> uncomfortably low on
> > space, and would like to add a 5th disk. The idea
> is to pop in disk 5
> > and have the raid-z expand its feature set and free
> space to
> > incorporate the 5th disk.
> >
> > Is there indeed such a thing in the works? Or in
> consideration?
>
> --
> Adam Leventhal, Solaris Kernel Development
>       http://blogs.sun.com/ahl

Didn't he give a use case?  My use case is that I want to use ZFS for my
archive disk, but before the disk gets too old I want to add another two disks
when they are cheaper so I have a redundant 3 disk array.  Another use case of
mine is that I want to start a new storage server with 3 disks, but I
anticipate running out of space by an unknown amount, so I want to be able to
add a couple more disks when I need to.

Seeing the demand for this is not rocket science.  Hardware RAID5 adapters, NAS
boxes, and Linux all support this feature.
--
This messages posted from opensolaris.org