As part of the ZFS crypto project we are planning on adding a new pool
level property.  This property will indicate "where" to find the per
pool wrapping key (the dataset key encryption key, DSKEK).

This property will ideally be a string since we need to store values
like the following

"passphase" - the string 'p', 'a', 's', ... not the acutal passphrase
"file:<pathname>"

eg

file:/rmdisk/mykeys/zfs/tank

pkcs11:Sun Softoken:::tankdskek
pkcs11::::tankdskek
I've tried to clone what the bootfs property does but that doesn't seem
to be the correct thing to do since it doesn't appear to store the
string but store the objnum.

Can a pool property be a string ?

If so how should I be making it persist.

--
Darren J Moffat