Well, it is kinda confusing...

In short, df -h will always return the size of the WHOLE pool for "size" (unless you've set a quota on the dataset in which case it says that), the amount of space that particular dataset is using for "used", and the total amount of free space on the WHOLE pool for "avail" (unless you've got a quota or reservation set).

So in your original mail. 695G is the size of the DATA on the r12_data pool. zfs list r12_data says you are using 596G. I think this is the RAW capacity used, and I reckon you are using compression. (zfs get compressratio r12_data will give you something like 1.1).

However, df -h of r12_data/d24 should have the identical 1st and 3rd fields, but they don't. (Could you re-run?)

Same goes for the zfs list commands.

Could you try doing zfs list -o space to get a fuller breakdown of how the space is being used.

Mike

Grant Lowe wrote:
Hi Mike,

Yes, d25 is a clone of d24. Here are some data points about it:

bash-3.00# zfs get reservation r12_data/d25
NAME          PROPERTY     VALUE         SOURCE
r12_data/d25  reservation  none          default
bash-3.00# zfs get quota r12_data/d25
NAME          PROPERTY  VALUE         SOURCE
r12_data/d25  quota     none          default
bash-3.00#
bash-3.00# zfs list r12_data
NAME       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
r12_data   596G  62.7G  24.5K  none
bash-3.00#
bash-3.00# zfs list -t snapshot r12_data/d...@a
NAME             USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
r12_data/d...@a   904K      -  39.9G  -
bash-3.00#

Thanks for the response.  Did you need any more data points from me?