I realy do like the way NetApp is handling snaps :) that would be an excelent thing in ZFS :)

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Marion Hakanson wrote:

Interesting discussion.  I've often been impressed at how NetApp-like
the overal ZFS feature-set is (implies that I like NetApp's).  Is it
verboten to compare ZFS to NetApp?  I hope not....

NetApp has two ways of making snapshots.  There is a set of automatic
snapshots, which are created, rotate and expire on their own (i.e. the
filer does all of this).  Often you'll have a number of hourly, daily,
weekly, etc. snapshots in this category.  These are the ones that users
can count on seeing when they seek to perform a self-recovery of a
mistakenly damaged file.

Then you have the ones you create manually, or which are created by
backup software.  The filer itself will never delete these, it's up
to the external creator to manage them.

This has proven to be a fantastic model for the usage patterns that I have
experienced (over probably 6+ years of NetApp use), and I would like to
see something similar available for ZFS.

Personally, I think that having an expiration time (and creation) be
associated with the snapshot/pool itself is a good thing.  What happens
if one exports said filesystem/pool (with snapshots) to another system,
if such creation/expiration is handled by some outside utility?

Hmm, I'm not sure if the NetApp auto-snapshot schedule follows a disk
volume if it's exported to a different filer.  I think it doesn't.

Regards,

Marion

!DSPAM:122,445b80b818937266247132!