I'm looking at using ZFS as our main file server FS over here.

I can do the disk layout tuning myself, but what I'm more interested in
is getting thoughts on the amount of RAM that might help performance on
these machines.  Assume I've got more than enough network and disk
bandwidth, and the disks are JBODs, so there is no NVRAM or anything
else on the arrays.

The machines will be doing NFS and AFS filesharing ONLY, so this
discussion is relevant to ZFS as a fileserver, with no other
considerations.

Now, there are three usage patterns (I'm interested in tuning for each
scenario, as they probably will be separate machines):

(A)  random small read (80%)/ small write (20%)  - files in the sub 1MB
size, usually in the 50-200kB size

(B)  sequential small read (80%) / small write (20%) - e.g. copy the
entire contents of directories around.  Files in mid-100k range, copying
10s of MB total at a time.

(C)  random read/write inside a single file (e.g. database store) - file
is under 10GB or so.

I'm assuming that ZFS read-ahead benefits greatly by more RAM for (A),
but I'm less sure about the other two cases, and I'm not sure at all
about how more RAM helps write performance (if at all).

Ideas?  Point me to docs?

Thank you!

--
Erik Trimble