Matthew Ahrens wrote:
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 02:34:30PM -0700, Jeff Victor wrote:
* When you share a ZFS fs via NFS, what happens to files and
filesystems that exceed the limits of NFS?

What limits do you have in mind?  I'm not an NFS expert, but I think
that NFSv4 (and probably v3) supports 64-bit file sizes, so there would
be no limit mismatch there.

yes v3 supports largefile(5) sized files.

* Is there a recommendation or some guidelines to help answer the
question "how full should a pool be before deciding it's time add disk
space to a pool?"

I'm not sure, but I'd guess around 90%.

* Migrating pre-ZFS backups to ZFS backups: is there a better method
than "restore the old backup into a ZFS fs, then back it up using "zfs
send"?

No.

I'd say that it depends for the "then back it up" part. It depends on what backup software you use today. If you use something like Legato Networker or Veritas Netbackup or anything else that just walks the file system using POSIX APIs, then keep using that. Be aware though that they may not pickup on ZFS ACLs yet and they won't save the zfs data set config, ie compression, checksum etc.

--
Darren J Moffat