Hello David,

Friday, June 2, 2006, 12:52:05 AM, you wrote:

> [...]
webserving/java

>> There is no need for multiple pools.  Perhaps you meant two raid-z
>> groups (aka "vdevs") in a single pool?  Also, wouldn't you want to use
>> all 8 disks, therefore use two 4-disk raid-z groups?  This way you
>> wouldget 3 disks worth of usable space.
DJO> Yes, I meant what you specified, sorry for my lack of knowledge. :)
DJO> I need two of the disks for the root FS, because U2 won't allow
DJO> me to make the root FS on ZFS fs. Otherwise, I'd love to use all 8.

The system itself won't take too much space.
You can create one large slice form the rest of the disks and the same
slices on the rest of the disks. Then you can create one large pool
from 8 such slices. Remaining space on the rest of the disks could be
use for swap for example, or other smaller pool.

Now I would consider creating raid-10, and not raid-z, something like:

zpool create local mirror s1 s2 mirror s3 s4 mirror s5 s6 mirror s7 s8

Than I would probably create local/zones/db and put zone here, then
create additional needed filesystem in that one pool.

btw. in such a config write cache would be off by default - I'm not
sure it will be a problem or not.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]