Richard Elling wrote:
Robert Milkowski wrote:
btw: I'm really suprised how SATA disks are unreliable. I put dozen TBs of data on ZFS last time and just after few days I got few hundreds checksum error (there raid-z was used). And these disks are 500GB in 3511 array. Well that would explain some fsck's, etc. we saw before.

It is more likely due to the density than the interface.  In general,
high density disks will suffer from superparamagnetic affects more than
lower density disks.  There are several ways to combat this, but the
consumer market values space over reliability.
I'm not actually convinced the consumer market wants the space, it is more that we don't have a choice because it bigger and bigger drives is all we can buy. Personally I have very little need for a 500G disk at home (mainly because I don't do video and my photos are jpg not raw ;-)).

And since there is no checksumming to detect problems, they don't think they have problems --
the insidious effects of cancer.
Or most of the data is stored in file formats don't get impacted too much by the odd bit flip here and there (eg MPEG streams).

--
Darren J Moffat