Yes, if zpool remove works like you describe, it does the same thing. Is there a time frame for that feature?

Thanks!

On Jun 11, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Eric Schrock wrote:

This only seems valuable in the case of an unreplicated pool.  We
already have 'zpool offline' to take a device and prevent ZFS from
talking to it (because it's in the process of failing, perhaps).  This
gives you what you want for mirrored and RAID-Z vdevs, since there's no
data to migrate anyway.

We are also planning on implementing 'zpool remove' (for more than just
hot spares), which would allow you to remove an entire toplevel vdev,
migrating the data off of it in the process.  This would give you what
you want for the case of an unreplicated pool.

Does this satisfy the usage scenario you described?

- Eric