Saying "Solid State disk" in the storage arena means battery-backed DRAM (or, rarely, NVRAM). It does NOT include the various forms of solid-state memory (compact flash, SD, MMC, etc.);"Flash disk" is reserved for those kind of devices.

This is historical, since Flash disk hasn't been functionally usable in the Enterprise Storage arena until the last year or so. Battery-backed DRAM as a "disk" has been around for a very long time, though. :-)

We've all talked about adding the ability to change read/write policy on a pool's vdevs for awhile. There are a lot of good reasons that this is desirable. However, I'd like to try to separate this request from HSM, and not immediately muddy the waters by trying to lump too many things together.

That is, start out with adding the ability to differentiate between access policy in a vdev. Generally, we're talking only about mirror vdevs right now. Later on, we can consider the ability to migrate data based on performance, but a lot of this has to take into consideration snapshot capability and such, so is a bit less straightforward.

And, on not a completely tangential side note: WTF is up with the costs for Solid State disks? I mean, prices well over $1k per GB are typical, which is absolutely ludicrous. The DRAM itself is under $100/GB, and these devices are idiot-simple to make. In the minimalist case, it's simply DIMM slots, a NiCad battery and trickle charger, and a SCSI/SATA/FC interface chip. Even in the fancy case, were you provide a backup drive to copy the DRAM contents to in case of power failure, it's a trivial engineering exercise. I realize there is (currently) a small demand for these devices, but honestly, I'm pretty sure that if they reduced the price by a factor of 3, they'd see 10x or maybe even 100x the volume, cause these little buggers are just so damned useful.

Oh, and the newest thing in the consumer market is called "hybrid drives", which is a melding of a Flash drive with a Winchester drive. It's originally targetted at the laptop market - think a 1GB flash memory welded to a 40GB 2.5" hard drive in the same form-factor. You don't replace the DRAM cache on the HD - it's still there for fast-write response. But all the "frequently used" blocks get scheduled to be placed on the Flash part of the drive, while the mechanical part actually holds a copy of everything. The Flash portion is there for power efficiency as well as performance.

-Erik