Roch wrote On 06/21/06 07:31,:
  15 minutes to do a fdsync is way outside the slowdown usually seen.
  The footprint for 6413510 is that when a huge amount of
  data is being written non synchronously and a fsync comes in for the
  same filesystem then all the non-synchronous data is also forced out
  synchronously. So is there a lot of data being written during the vi?

vi will write the whole file (in 4K) chunks and fsync it.
(based on a single experiment).

Sean kindly gave me access to the system and so far I have reproduced the
problem. It just requires a fsync on a file with 1 byte and for me takes
10 minutes to fsync! I have run a few dscripts but have yet to make much
more progress. I do see that zfs version is fairly old so we may be chasing
an old bug, or perhaps this really is an extreme version of 6413510,
as there is often 3MB of data being collected and written to the pool
and probably the same fs.

Neil