Hello Erik,

ET> Robert -

ET> I would definitely like to see the difference between read on HW RAID5
ET> vs read on RAIDZ. Naturally, one of the big concerns I would have is
ET> how much RAM is needed to avoid any cache starvation on the ZFS
ET> machine.  I'd discount the NVRAM on the RAID controller, since I'd
ET> assume that it would be dedicated to write acceleration, and not for
ET> read.  My big problem right now is that I only have an old A3500FC to do
ET> testing on, as all my other HW RAID controllers are IBM ServerRAIDs, for
ET> which the Solaris driver isn't really the best.

I belive the problem here was mostly due to 64kB read from each disk
in raid-z while dataset was many TBs of data with small random reads
from many threads (nfsd). It meant that during peak hours I wasn't
probably far from saturating fc links (there was over 200MB read
throughout sometime) while nfsd was actually reading someting like 10x
less. I belive that most of that "cached" data weren't used.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]